Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, today started off a bit exciting. Maybe some of you have heard about a guy who dropped his SVTC or wondered what happens if you do? Well, as of 20 minutes ago I CAN CONFIRM that nothing happens to the bike!
i was getting her set upright to do an oil change and suddenly she went over AWAY from the side I was on. I couldn’t stop it and watched as she rolled over to probably about 50 degrees or so and stopped. Fortunately there was nothing in the way for her to hit, but it seems the black molding under the saddlebags acts as a cushion on the rear and the main heavy bar that the floorboards are mounted to stop it from going over further in the front.
Not too hard to pick up either due to low center of gravity. WAY EASIER than my 91 Venture Royale ever was.

Anyways, not a mark, mar, crack or stressed piece at all. Put your mind at ease if your concerned about any damage from dropping her. Yamaha designed this baby WELL!
Just because the “protection” doesn’t SHOW like a lot of other bikes, does not mean it’s not there!

Now it’s time to give her a bath! ����

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Yes, it is, and it was mentioned in a review on the main site here. The reviewer dropped it accidentally, down to approximately 45 degrees, and he could actually fairly easily straighten it up again, with no more than a little loss of face. No damage done, he was informed beforehand that that was how the bike was constructed. I tried to find the review, and the paragraph, but haven;t been able to locate it yet.

This is actually what inspired the rear highway bar on my (highly modified) XV1900 Midnight Star (Roadliner :)). It can't go down anymore than a 45 degree angle. That way nothing is damaged, and I can still lift it up all by myself. And yes, it happened to me once before, on the exhaust side, prior to the bar .... :) No damage either, but I needed help from a very strong neighbour to get it back up :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yikes! Good to hear there wasn't damage. Though this bike handles as well (or better) than my 300 lb lighter V-Star, I have found myself at "the edge" a couple of times where I could feel that if it goes over, I'm not stopping it. Glad to know that all should be OK (other than my ego) if it does keel over.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ok Guys, today started off a bit exciting. Maybe some of you have heard about a guy who dropped his SVTC or wondered what happens if you do? Well, as of 20 minutes ago I CAN CONFIRM that nothing happens to the bike!
i was getting her set upright to do an oil change and suddenly she went over AWAY from the side I was on. I couldn’t stop it and watched as she rolled over to probably about 50 degrees or so and stopped. Fortunately there was nothing in the way for her to hit, but it seems the black molding under the saddlebags acts as a cushion on the rear and the main heavy bar that the floorboards are mounted to stop it from going over further in the front.
Not too hard to pick up either due to low center of gravity. WAY EASIER than my 91 Venture Royale ever was.

Anyways, not a mark, mar, crack or stressed piece at all. Put your mind at ease if your concerned about any damage from dropping her. Yamaha designed this baby WELL!
Just because the “protection” doesn’t SHOW like a lot of other bikes, does not mean it’s not there!

Hey Chief. Thanks for posting. I always wondered. I was told this but didn't want to test it. I want to do some type of black or clear heavy duty protection on the side bags black plastic guards. I will have to look them up on how mush these cost. I am sure the kick stand side cost more.

·
Registered
809 Posts

Boy, you go away on a 3 day trip, and all h*ll breaks loose! Geez...

Glad to read that your bike, sustained no damage. Good for all of us!

Did you have the bike on your motorcycle lift? A box? Or just that you were holding it upright, and then it went over the right-side balance, away from you?

·
Registered
440 Posts

Did you have the bike on your motorcycle lift? A box? Or just that you were holding it upright, and then it went over the right-side balance, away from you?
YPE I think Chief was twirling it on his right index finger. Hehhehe.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I had a 2x4 under the kickstand which puts the bike VERY close to full upright balance point, especially if you to the handlebars to the full right. My mistake was not wanting to pull the lift out which I will not make the mistake of again!
I had her stood up and was putting the left side side cover on. That little “push” to seat it was all it took.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

YPE I think Chief was twirling it on his right index finger. Hehhehe.
That’s the key fob, NOT the bike. 😁

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had a 2x4 under the kickstand which puts the bike VERY close to full upright balance point, especially if you to the handlebars to the full right. My mistake was not wanting to pull the lift out which I will not make the mistake of again!
I had her stood up and was putting the left side side cover on. That little “push” to seat it was all it took.
Chief....you still can do it, the fast-lane way...just build a two foot long frame of 2x4's with a width of the bottom frame of the bike...then...you put that into position on the right side the long length going out from the bike frame......slip a 2x4 under the side stand, and THERE YOU GO...it will NOT fall over to the right...and you can get your oil tubs where they need to go. Even with a lift...there is a danger of it 'really going south'.... I think that I am going to build the frame I just suggested for you, myself. That sounds like a good idea...the single 2x4, with a 1/2 inch puc glued to it...and a bore saw to make a round dish, so the side stand doesn't drop off the 2x4, and all doing this in first gear! Sound's like a plan to me....now back to checking out motels/hotels out of Boise! :)

Gawd...we LOVE our SVTC! We, sure do.....:)

Jed, er...Joe Clampett....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts