Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, looking at Linbars for my recently purchased bike . I consider myself fairly handy, but have never worked, for example, with sockets around shiny chome... Sockets and general tools with chrome, in my jeep days, amounted to scratched paint every time I took the bolts off the doors (bolts were painted black gloss). What's the advice before I tear into something related to chrome? Thanks
http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65/trs900/yamaha/?action=view&current=100_0177.jpg
and

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's not a dumb question !

First of all, I have the same crash bars on my Strat !
you just use decent 6 point sockets on the nuts used for the install, you won't have to be taking them off much so you will be just fine, just use the right sized socket, the nuts may be hard chromed, my bar is black powder coat for a good reason. But all the chrome parts are fine. I don't know what bike you are gettting but most have a pretty good chrome on the parts. And you can always replace the hardware if you do mess it up oneday. Go for it !

My Strat S is the Chrome monster, so I went with black on most of the addon's, and it paid off, as I have scraped the bars a few times, it appears slightly lower than the foot boards, So touch up with a spray can is the way I cure the minor road rash on the protective bars.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Using sockets that are in very good condition should be your only concern and make sure the socket is fully engaged onto the head of the bolt/nut. A layer or two of painters tape can be used on the bolt head or nut but would be overkill but might give you peace of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts