Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got this '05 V-Star 650 Classic recently and this morning was going to be my first ride since I brought it home. I had some errands to do and thought it would be fun on the bike.

It has been a while since I have had a carbureted bike with a petcock. Most recent bikes have been Injected.

So I haul all my gear out to the garage and hop in the bike and turn the key on and hit the starter. It tries to start but doesnt. A couple more times, same thing. So then I make the mistake of giving the throttle a twist, which only works against me, and the bike just goes R-R-R-R-R-R-R and now it doesn't even TRY to start.

So now I am a bit pissed, and I run the starter until the battery starts to lose the juice, and so I utter a few loud curse words and say SCREW IT! I put the bike on the Battery Tender and take my gear back inside and grab my car keys and head out the door. SONOFAB17(# !!

Well I get home later and decide to approach it with a cool head, and it is back to full charge, so I mount the bike, put in the key and I notice the little sign I made (and taped just below the speedometer) that says KEY / FUEL....

Yeah, I actually made myself a reminder so that I would not forget to TURN ON THE FUEL, or LEAVE THE KEY when I go in somewhere.

Yep - that's right. The bike didn't start earlier because I DIDN'T TURN ON THE DAMN GAS. :ROFLMAO:

This time I turned it on, left the throttle alone, pulled the choke out and VROOM, it started right up.

Lesson learned. Hopefully.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If bikes could only laugh at us… Darn bike was probably thinking, hey you I need fuel…
Now to update the question, what stupid stuff do I continue to do on my bike….
I don’t have enough time to document them all or will do.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
385 Posts
Pulled into my driveway and shut the bike off.
Phone rang and i had about a 10 min conversation
Got off the bike.
I only forgot one thing: the kick stand
I once watched a guy pull in and park his full blown goldwing people were watching him and admiring his bike the being cocky said so what is your problem 🤔 you never seen a professional before or what!! He gets off his bike turns around to walk away..Oops no side stand bike fell over knocking him down and lands on top of him..every one standing there grabbed his bike put it on the stand. Guy gets up. Another rider after helping him up said well witch way did that professional go?? Man on the ground said I wish I knew he forgot to tell me about the kickstand thing..lmao every one was laughing even the now humble tough guy..

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
100+ thread readers so far and not one of you has done anything dumb on your bike...

(y) :ROFLMAO:
Maybe some of us don't want to admit our... faults. But this has been a good read.

I had an '01 V-Star 650 while I was in the military and right before I got out, I bought a brand new S-10 ZR2 pickup. My first time trying to load my bike, I lowered my tailgate, put my ramp onto it, and started pushing my bike up the ramp. I got about 80% up the ramp but couldn't get my front wheel onto my bed. I decided that I would just idle my bike up and let it push itself up the ramp.

Everything was going smoothly until the back tire approached the top of the ramp. I guess there was a little hump to go over to get off the wrap and so I gave it just a little more gas to get over the hump when all of a sudden, the ramp was thrown out from under the bike and it slammed down onto my tailgate. To get out of the immediate situation, I slid my bike backwards and was able to get my rear tire on the ground while my front was still on my tailgate. I tried to get my wife to reposition the ramp so I could get my front wheel down but she was in a weird, frantic tizzy so I just rolled it backwards until the front tire fell off the tailgate and dropped to the ground. Somehow, I never dropped my bike but my tail gate was an expensive lesson on why you use the chain/strap to anchor the ramp. Luckily, all S-10's had the same tailgate and I was able to source one in good condition from a local pick-a-part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll toss in another one...

I had a PC800 a number of years back, and I got tired of the kickstand kill switch, so I disabled it. Very soon after I rode off without putting the kickstand UP.

The left-hand turn out of the driveway was an interesting one. YAHOO!

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,771 Posts
I'll toss in another one...

I had a PC800 a number of years back, and I got tired of the kickstand kill switch, so I disabled it. Very soon after I rode off without putting the kickstand UP.

The left-hand turn out of the driveway was an interesting one. YAHOO!
A girl got killed here last year I think it was, when she forgot to put up the kick stand. Harley with a locking kick stand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Done the fuel petcock thing a few times. Usually have ridden it recently, so there's fuel in the float bowl, so it starts up. I fire it up, put my gear on, take the choke off and ride out of the driveway. I'm usually about halfway down the hill before it starts sputtering to a halt. If I have my wits about me, I'll reach down, turn the petcock on, and ride away. Unfortunately, most of the times when that happened, the vitamin C(offee) hasn't kicked in yet, so I coast down to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill and begin troubleshooting.

Since winter is coming and riding season is ending in my neck of the woods, I'll throw in a related bonus dumb cager moment. I had a remote start installed in my old Cherokee. One morning, I remote started the vehicle to warm it up and defrost the windows. I get ready for work, head on out and hop in my vehicle. Put my foot on the brake to shift out of Park and everything goes dark and silent. Forgot to put the key in and turn it on. :sleep:

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Done the fuel petcock thing a few times. Usually have ridden it recently, so there's fuel in the float bowl, so it starts up. I fire it up, put my gear on, take the choke off and ride out of the driveway. I'm usually about halfway down the hill before it starts sputtering to a halt. If I have my wits about me, I'll reach down, turn the petcock on, and ride away. Unfortunately, most of the times when that happened, the vitamin C(offee) hasn't kicked in yet, so I coast down to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill and begin troubleshooting.

Since winter is coming and riding season is ending in my neck of the woods, I'll throw in a related bonus dumb cager moment. I had a remote start installed in my old Cherokee. One morning, I remote started the vehicle to warm it up and defrost the windows. I get ready for work, head on out and hop in my vehicle. Put my foot on the brake to shift out of Park and everything goes dark and silent. Forgot to put the key in and turn it on. :sleep:
I just knew you were going to say that you remote started your Jeep, then went and got on your bike and went to work while your Jeep stayed running at home until it was out of gas. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
One time I got off the bike (GL1800) and walked away, over it went. Funny how little a GoldWing actually falls over. It was still kind of upright... Another time on my GL1500 I was manouevering it around the sloped garage apron and I put my feet down, one leg was still 6" off the concrete, and over the bike went, threw me into the tailgate of my truck. That was fun.

I bought a pair of canoe paddles at Canadian Tire and when I got to the parking lot, I recalled fondly that I had my K1600GTL with me, so I sat on the canoe paddles on the ride home. Not as comfy as the stock seat.

The last time I used my bike trailer, pulled behind the bike, not the kind the bike goes on, I went to Home Depot and bought a bag of type 10 Portland Cement, and 6 I think bags of thinset mortar. By the way, that is too much to put in a bike trailer. Made it home OK. 8 years later, there is still cement powder in the trailer.

One time, I rode 2 1/2 hours with a front tire around my head like I just won the Kentucky Derby. On the way to get it mounted, not just for the heck of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts