Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 FKHR Road King, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,658 Posts
I got into the habit of double knotting my boot laces so they do not come undone on long walks in the desert (my old life). And I forgot to tuck the laces into my boot one morning before riding my R3T to work. I roll up to the stop light downshifting and go to extend my left foot only to find the lace loop firmly around the shift lever. Suddenly, the earth lept up and smacked the living crap out of me. I did not extend my arm out as I knew that would be futile and more painful. And I kept the helmet from hitting the ground.
Had the lace been a normal knot, the loop may have pulled through.
I detached the stuck loop and extracted my leg from under the bike. I am glad for the engine bar indeed as it kept the beast from squishing me.
I picked said beasty up with the a fresh dose of homonal strength with only slight grunting.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I got into the habit of double knotting my boot laces so they do not come undone on long walks in the desert (my old life). And I forgot to tuck the laces into my boot one morning before riding my R3T to work. I roll up to the stop light downshifting and go to extend my left foot only to find the lace loop firmly around the shift lever. Suddenly, the earth lept up and smacked the living crap out of me. I did not extend my arm out as I knew that would be futile and more painful. And I kept the helmet from hitting the ground.
Had the lace been a normal knot, the loop may have pulled through.
I detached the stuck loop and extracted my leg from under the bike. I am glad for the engine bar indeed as it kept the beast from squishing me.
I picked said beasty up with the a fresh dose of homonal strength with only slight grunting.
And THAT’S why I wear pull-on boots when I ride.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
693 Posts
I will 2nd the boot laces.

Down slope driveway, hard right turn at road. Put my feet out like outriggers while cornering. Couldn't put my right foot back on foot peg.

Boot lace loop went and lassoed my kickstand!

Now I don't knot the laces and I tuck them into my boot tops.

Did the petcock forgotten thing a few times lately. . . .

·
Registered
99 Roadie
1,008 Posts
Too many to list.....
Petcock thing too many times to count, sidestand a few times. Wheelied in front of police officers a time or four ($$$)

1990, Crawfordville, Fl. wheelied a CR500 up a fairly steep bank onto a narrow bridge in third gear (WAAAY to fast) bike stood straight up when rear tire met asphalt. Slid off the back of the seat and landed toes then knees then chest at about 40 mph in ridin gear, but still on pavement. Mangled a new pair of riding pants and a chest protector ($$$). Guys I was riding with said I slid about 30 feet. After said slide I looked up and no bike anwhere. Riderless bike had set the front wheel down and proceeded to launch itself off of the side of the bridge falling
about 30 feet onto a palmetto head, landing upside down on a two day old Clarke tank and Moose enduro computer. (More$$$)
There were witnesses. Still have the scars.
Long, bloody, sweaty push home in a cloud of fuel fumes (July in Florida)

Sold that [email protected]$tard shortly thereafter as nothing good ever happens on a 500cc open class two stroke.

Most of my less than intelligent moments began with the thought "yeah, I can make that".

The nice thing about 50+ years in the saddle is it has given me ample time to find new ways to screw up.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
693 Posts
I don't know about big bore bikes, but a buddy of mine liked to jump his DESIEL vw mini-truck. . . With unsuspecting passengers in the bed. . . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Aaahhhh.... brings back memories of the good old days, when ATGATT was a helmet and jeans.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
1,027 Posts
Well, the dumbest thing was something that could have seriously injured or killed me.
2 lane road, with a passing lane opening up on a decent hill.
Car going slow all of a sudden decides to attempt to break the land speed record starting at the base of the hill as I start to pass
I get pissed
I focus on passing the car
I forget that the extra lane disappears at the crest of the hill
I forget that the crest is a blind hump that curves right.
I realize I F'd up in time to make it over the blind hump, about 3 feet OVER the double yellow line.
I realize that the only reason I made it was because no cars were coming in the opposite lane. (it's a fairly busy road. Rt 100 near Eagle, PA)

I stopped and bought a water ice and thought on what I just did for about a half hour.
How badly that would of effected my children and my wife.
To this day I remind myself when I ride "Don't be stupid today".

21 - 32 of 32 Posts