Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this one went 17,000 before laying over. Two up at a hotel on the shore of Lake Superior, parking lot inclined. I'm Goin up and make a right hand u turn... Oops bike is in third, down shif... Too late. I go to put my foot down but can't reach because of the incline. By the time I could touch the weight, angle, etc had the best of me. Scratched up the black plastic under the saddle bag. Dinged my pride a little as a bunch of old people were out...

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,491 Posts
Glad you are OK. A few scratches can be fixed. Was it resting on bags or did it go all the way over? How hard was it to upright? Thanks for admitting it, most would not. Don't let it upset your vacation. Did you have a passenger? Trailer on?

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
this is one of the risks they did not mention when I took the MSF course, we have to be aware of where we stop and make sure the ground is level side to side, so we can put both feet down

that means parking lots, driveways, going up or down hills and making a U turn - even if it means running a stop sign at slow speeds, a red light, or "taking" the right of way, over the years I have seen many places where I would not be able to stop with both feet down

and thinking you can hold the bike with just one foot is always a mistake

good that you and your ride are ok

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you are OK. A few scratches can be fixed. Was it resting on bags or did it go all the way over? How hard was it to upright? Thanks for admitting it, most would not. Don't let it upset your vacation. Did you have a passenger? Trailer on?
Only damage was the scratched black plastic under the saddle bag. Two up with trailer. Uprighting it was easy with the same technique I used on the Wing. Butt against seat, one hand on grip the other on passenger handle and walk it back up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
this is one of the risks they did not mention when I took the MSF course, we have to be aware of where we stop and make sure the ground is level side to side, so we can put both feet down

that means parking lots, driveways, going up or down hills and making a U turn - even if it means running a stop sign at slow speeds, a red light, or "taking" the right of way, over the years I have seen many places where I would not be able to stop with both feet down

and thinking you can hold the bike with just one foot is always a mistake

good that you and your ride are ok
A month or so back, I was at a gas station to put air in the tires. Had both feet down. Look down & forward to my right to see if see the valve stem. And ... W.. T.. F.. Biggie was on her left side.
I had her back up before anyone saw a thing.
Nothing hurt except maybe my pride. Only reason I can come up with is I leaned down to right too much. Which means I leaned the bike to the left & my foot slipped on the gravel on the disintegrating concrete. Had I put the kickstand down, (LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO), but the voice in my head said ... "Naahh, you have good balancing skills."
It's that same voice that says to the rest... "Here. Hold my beer."
@Bucfan11 ... Glad you're ok & the damage is minimal.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Well, this one went 17,000 before laying over. Two up at a hotel on the shore of Lake Superior, parking lot inclined. I'm Goin up and make a right hand u turn... Oops bike is in third, down shif... Too late. I go to put my foot down but can't reach because of the incline. By the time I could touch the weight, angle, etc had the best of me. Scratched up the black plastic under the saddle bag. Dinged my pride a little as a bunch of old people were out...

Well @Bucfan11 at least you were riding yours when you dropped it.
As I posted on a different thread, mine did an unimpeded freefall to garage concrete floor! I had a 2x4 under the kickstand to upright the bike more for oil check and something else. I was on the left side and pushed the side panel on and that was all she wrote. I couldn’t grab it fast enough or have stopped it. The good news is that NOTHING was damaged. The bike stopped at about a 47 degree angle!
Glad you guys are ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts