Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I have stock exhaust - riding around town up to 50mph I dont wear them.

With the windshield on the bike and > 60mph I get a very low frequency thumping sensation on my ears, esp if my visor is cracked open. So when Im running fast with the windshield I wear earplugs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have always selected helmets based on them blocking windnoise, so that meant only full face, and tight.
I wear earbuds with them sometimes.

I have only started using earplugs, though others I know wear them all the time (they don't have tight fitting helmets like mine though). I got the eargasm ones, and they do work surprisingly well. I can just hardly hear the engine, but can hear the sena (bluetooth) without any issues.

I also got some decibels, but with the eargasm ones working good at their rated 15-21 nnr, I opted not to use the decibels (31nnr) except for sleeping.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use my molded earplugs which are spares from my job. You can get them from Costco hearing center for good price. I believe they have options on the sound level permitted, I have maximum protection level. Good with my half shell helmet on 950T and Cobra slip on. You would go deaf quickly without them.
My Bell full face modular helmet is not enough protection with the Cobra slip on. I cut to fit and added foam into the ear pockets from a set of industrial ear muffs. I can drive around town like that, but longer and highway trips I also use the ear plugs. That is lots of protection but I can still hear the motor enough. If I didn't have a windshield the wind noise might drown out the motor on the highway.
IMO the stock 950 exhaust needs a good full face helmet hearing protection, a half shell even with a stock 950 is asking for permanent hearing loss.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use earplugs from nonoise. https://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/products/motorsport/

They have a small ceramic filter that let sound pass but filter out wind noise, so you can still hear cars and your bike but eliminates all the low air noise. They also let air through which helps your ears and sinus equalize. They are 30 bucks but I would buy them again if I ever lost them. Awesome product.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use earplugs from nonoise. https://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/products/motorsport/

They have a small ceramic filter that let sound pass but filter out wind noise, so you can still hear cars and your bike but eliminates all the low air noise. They also let air through which helps your ears and sinus equalize. They are 30 bucks but I would buy them again if I ever lost them. Awesome product.
i tried NoNoise, but they become uncomfortable for me in a very short time and my ears start to hurt.

Here are a couple of similar products with small filters:

I found Downbeats worked well, but hard to get them positioned just right and hard to get ahold of to remove. cost about $12.00

I am currently using EarPeace HD Earplugs and these will be my GoTo Earplugs going forward. For me, they are super comfy, easy to put in and remove. cost about $20.00

·
Registered
317 Posts
i tried NoNoise, but they become uncomfortable for me in a very short time and my ears start to hurt.

Here are a couple of similar products with small filters:

I found Downbeats worked well, but hard to get them positioned just right and hard to get ahold of to remove. cost about $12.00

I am currently using EarPeace HD Earplugs and these will be my GoTo Earplugs going forward. For me, they are super comfy, easy to put in and remove. cost about $20.00
Earplugs are definitely a custom personal thing. Everyone ears are different and most earplugs are the same size. I have smaller ear canals and find them comfortable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the responses. On Wednesday I tried some cheap orange foam ear plugs that I keep around for going to the rifle range and they made a big difference. I was a lot more relaxed and able to concentrate on what I was doing. Ill experiment with some of the plugs that were recommended on here and see what works best.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. On Wednesday I tried some cheap orange foam ear plugs that I keep around for going to the rifle range and they made a big difference. I was a lot more relaxed and able to concentrate on what I was doing. Ill experiment with some of the plugs that were recommended on here and see what works best.
whatever the reason, the "2 cones" style of reusable earplugs like the ones i pointed out previously fit me much much better compared to ones with "3 cones".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts