Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it! I left Massachusetts two weeks ago, set out for the west coast. We did 7,185 miles in 15 days. My riding buddy has gone across country on a Suzuki GS850 fourteen other times prior to this trip! I wasn't sure if could afford it, or do it, but thanks to some encouragement from other motorcycle enthusiasts here, I decided to just go for it.

Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum - YamaMassGirl's Album: East Coast West Coast and Back

I uploaded some pictures to an album I have here. I will post more and upload a few right in the thread.

In a nutshell the 950 can do it. I mean, there were things that I've wanted to get for my bike that would of made life a lot easier for me on the road. I don't have hard water proof luggage. My windshield is two inches too short for me which made 80 mph speed limits even more brutal. I don't have highway bars or pegs for stretching out. No sissy bar. No backrest. But I want to tell you what I did and what I had that made life easier for me:

Go Cruise metal adjustable cruise control.
Cramp Busters Throttle assist.
Hydration bladder, (because I wore a full face helmet.)
Plus my friend bought me a cup holder, (fresh cold drinks with a straw).
Tank bag. (I made it fit. Could still see my speedo if I looked down and over it.)
Small camping pillow that I ended up duct taping to the seat after about 4,600 miles!

This trip was hardcore for me. We hit the road around 9am or so every day and rode until the sun was near setting. We ate breakfast and lunch as snacks that we stashed in our tank bags. (My friend doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, only snacks, then big dinner with beer.) :wink: :smile: Only stopping for gas, meant that we kept up an average of 479 miles a day for the two weeks it took us to ride from Massachusetts to the Oregon Coast and back.

Every day we woke up we would check the weather, check the map, consider mileage, and just see how far we could comfortably/tangibly get. Never know where you're gonna end up at the end of the day, but you have an idea of where you're headed. We took a northern route out, I-90 brought us through South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.

Highlights in my memory are Yellowstone, the Badlands in South Dakota, and EVERY single part of Oregon!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My sleeping bag gave me a lot of comfort. We ended up not camping at all, because we rode until the sun set every day! But a sleeping bag backrest was pretty sweet.

Wishlist for if I do it again with the same bike would be:

Taller winshield, and/or batwing.
Sissy bar to strap luggage to.
Highway bars with foot pegs.
Modular helmet.
Hard/waterproof side bags.

And um, actually the new 1,300 deluxe would fit the bill quiet nicely. Especially for those 80mph roads out west!!

My bike is broken in now though! And, ahem, 80mph doesn't feel as fast any more. Haha.

The character of my bike changed over this trip. Maybe pushing it at a higher rpm in top gear changed the EFI? It seemed to struggle and vibrate a lot at first. Maybe I just got used to it after about 3,000 miles of trying to keep up with a seasoned rider. Also, it's louder now. Maybe the baffle packed out some? My bike is stock except for the K&N filter, which also opened up the sound of throatyness.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like an awesome time, glad you're home safely. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I missed the forum! Didn't have time to do anything but ride for the passed two weeks! Glad to be back!

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
We've missed you as well, we also knew you were taking a trip of a lifetime. The tips you're sharing will help other members planning a cross country trip. Glad the 950 performed well for you. Trips like this also help an owner find the quirks each bike has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome back and Congrats on the Cross-Country!! Happy to see you back online and a lot of good pictures and memories. Things you did to help and plan are like Keith said important to others especially us newbies. I look forward to adding some of your ideas as I build up my bike and get more miles under my belt! Again, Welcome Back! We missed you!!

Bill

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds fun. I'd love to ride cross country but the kids keep me busy, lol. As for full face helmets, modulars are the only way to go. Being able to open that whole front makes alot of things easier. I go be tween that and a half helmet. Nice pics too

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hated doing this, but had to duct tape my camping pillow and towel to my seat after about 4,000 miles on my Pacific Coast Star Custom seat. (Shoulda splurged for the Mustang).

I tried lighter fluid, and it worked. However Goo Gone works quicker, and appears to be much less volatile to the clear coat!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts