Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a totally stock 2005 1100 Silverado with only 600 miles on it.
Unfortunately, there is no owner's manual. I have several easy questions.....

What weight/type of oil to use?
Volume of oil for crankcase?

Oil for the shaft drive?
Volume of oil for shaft drive?

How often am I supposed to change the oil?

How often should I have valves done?

Do the turn signals ever shut off automatically? Timer?

It pops a bit on deceleration. Should I get her tuned up?

I'm thinking I should change all the oil out just in case. I'm not sure how well the guy cared for the bike (it looks like new).

Lawmur

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it hasn't gone in for its 600-800 mile initial service and its oil hasn't been changed yet, take it in for its initial service SOON!

Oil change (initial at 600 to 800 miles) every 4000 miles or whenever it gets stored. 4000 miles is also the valve adjustment period.

Popping a bit on heavy deacceleration is maybe a sign the valves need their initial adjustment or the bike didn't get a good break in during its first 150-200 miles by running at various speeds in the lower half of the trottle range. On the other hand, what you are hearing maybe normal. Without somebody who knows what one of these is supposed to sound like listning to it, no way to tell.

The real question on a bike of that age and that few of miles is how well was the fuel treated during the storage intervals and how gummed up is the carb?

You can view the owner's manual online at http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/service/viewmanuals/star_manuals.aspx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts