Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone been a while! I put my battery in the bike for the first time this year and took her out for a spin, ran like a champ!

My question to you is:
What sort of maintenance do i need to do this weekend before i put any real miles on her? I know i need to change the oil, but is there anything else you would all recommend before taking the bike for long rides? I'm cheap and don't want to pay a dealer to "find things" to fix ya know? It's gonna be a good summer :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
A few things I do at the start of a new riding season.
1. check tire pressures and look for weather cracks in sidewalls.
2. put a few drops of light oil on the pivot point for shifter and rear brake pedal.
3. every 2 years lube throttle and clutch cables.
4. make sure all lights and horn work.
5. every 2 years I change out the spark plugs reguardles of how many miles I rode on the old ones. I would rather do it in my garage than on the side of a road when one fails.
6.depending on the milage of your bike, there is only 2 bolts on each front brake caliper. it might be wise to check how much meat is left on the pads.
7. check or change oil level in rear diff.
ride safe and keep the shiney side up!!!!

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
The best thing you can do to assure putting on some uninterupted miles is convince the wife she needs a get away weekend with her friends

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only other thing I would mention would be to use a Battery Maintainer. Especially if the bike sits up for long periods of time.

A battery maintainer will monitor the battery voltage and come on and charge when it drops to a certain point. This prevents the battery from discharging, which prevents sulfation.

Have a good one,

Lonnie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts