Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know this has been asked before I would bet.
I have a 2005 1100 Vstar with stock exhaust. It is a little to quiet.
What would be a nice ehaust to make it a little louder. I don't want it loud as i don't think it would really suit my bike.
Slip ons would be fine by me.
I don't really want to bore holes in the stock exhaust
and I don't really want to rejet the carbs.

Thanks

Jimid

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exhaust

I have he.ard of drilling holes but not sure of size and how many.
Obviously I don't want to ruin the stock one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have the Hard Khrome Sideburner and it's LOUD.. The kind of loud that can really piss off your neighbors when you're warming it up at 6am to drive to work.. lmao

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I cut and drilled my stock pipes. Really liked the improvement. Changed the overall tone completely but without being loud. It's way ahead of how it was but still too quite for me. If you are scared of damaging or destroying your current pipes just check ebay or somewhere like that and pick-up a used OEM set. In my opinion if you just want to be able to hear the exhaust without being loud this is the way to go. There are some instructions on the 1100 KB page but the actual procedure I did is located here http://http://www.650ccnd.com/slash.htm

This is the most extensive mod you can do to the stock pipes. There are instructions there for other mods that aren't so extensive if you prefer. I started with just drilling the holes but for me the sound difference wasn't worth the effort.
The link is for the 650 page but the pipes are relatively the same if not exactly.

From what I have heard most any slip on is going to be louder than drilling the stocks, and unfortunately you can't really go by the sound clips on youtube. Plus a pair of new slip ons are gonna run you several hundred $$$.,it cost me less than $20 to mod my pipes. I'm good with that until I decide to install a full set of pipes.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You can usually find used slip ons or stock exhaust for close to the cost of shipping. Figure $50 or so.

Loud is subjective..... take 5 minutes and drill a few holes in your mufflers....if you like it you're good to go, if not they are super cheap to replace. I think they sound kind of tinny, but to each their own. Keep your eyes on Ebay for all sorts of options...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah try drilling. I've heard drilled ones, they do sound a little tinny.

I had Vance and Hines on my 1100 before I swapped out for a full exhaust. They were pretty mild all around but had a decent note when you got on the throttle. They won't do much for performance though.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah try drilling. I've heard drilled ones, they do sound a little tinny.
Agreed! That's why I went ahead and slash cut mine. Really deepens the tone over just drilling holes. Personally I think stock sounds better that just drilling a couple holes. But like Mick said, its subjective. Only thing that really matters is what you think of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looked in my tool box and used the largest drill bit i had. I started with 4 holes in rear plate. Then after listening to the sound I put a hole in between each set of holes I already had. Each time I did that the sound got a little deeper and just a hair louder. In the end I purchased a hole saw that was about the same size as my exhaust. I cut the rear plate out and pulled the silencer tube. Even after doing this It was not too loud by most peoples standards. The bike had a decent deep growl. At highway speeds the wind is louder that the exhaust. I would start with this mod if you dont want anything too radical. This is the cheapest and if you are planning on putting something else on anyway you have nothing to loose.

Personally I wanted a different sound and have purchased the Down and Dirty exhaust by Morton Custom. They have not come in yet. These will be much louder than you are looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts