Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im having some electrical issues. my speedometer and odometer has been going in and out for the last week. initially it was more in than out, now more out than in. did some research and found its most likely the speedometer sensor. I also killed my battery about a month ago by leaving the bike turned over for 3 days I took the battery off and put it on a charger for about 4 hours and put back in the bike and it worked fine. my turn signals have been replaced with LEDS and they worked fine for awhile, now they wont stay on over 35mph. i took the speedometer sensor off the other day and sarted to fire it up but thought better of it. well today i put the old speedo sensor and battery on and was gonna go for a ride, but when i turn the key over to start the bike all i here is to me what sounds like a tattoo gun. i attempted to roll start it and it turned over but i didnt have enough momentum/experience to do this. checked all the fuses and pulled the battery. both seem ok but battery is low. question is would a low/bad battery cause the issues I'm having, and if not what is causing these issues

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sounds like a reg/rec issue......do a voltage test on the system both off and running....that'll tell you what's going on..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5435-v-star-1100-rectifier-issues.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiwkIXE5qPNAhVXKFIKHdgTCQMQFggRMAQ&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFGApRpFG-CZgYNo9VcD9SDgaeGhA if you go to the search tab above and type reg/rec. you'll get a lot of posts describing your problem.if the regulator is bad it'll fry your new battery, check the charging system with an ohm meter.sick mick has a link below his signature it has all the information on the 1100.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought a new speedometer sensor, and a new battery. while waiting on the parts to arrive, i bought a trickle charger at lowes for 20$ and figured what the heck i'll give it a try. left it on my battery overnight and the next day it fired up and haven't had an issue since!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts