Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a BAK and moved the coils to the tank area so with the coils gone I wanted to do something different with the stock cover. I thought it might be cool to change the look of the stock liner with a black intake filter. It isn't a night and day difference but it's different and that is what I was going for.

After moving the coils and bracket I had to figure out how to attach the filter to the side of the bike. I thought I could use the existing bracket but that was a no go. Instead I bought some aluminum and bent my own bracket. I had fun bending, cutting, and figuring it all out. If I get tired of the look I can always go back to stock.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nicely done.I would like to see a picture when you get your tank back on of the whole bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. The cool thing is that I can now mount anything I want as a cover. I found a really cool bone skull. I may buy it and then cut it to ab about 3" thick since it comes 7.5" and see if I like it better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently installed a BAK and moved the coils to the tank area so with the coils gone I wanted to do something different with the stock cover. I thought it might be cool to change the look of the stock liner with a black intake filter. It isn't a night and day difference but it's different and that is what I was going for.

After moving the coils and bracket I had to figure out how to attach the filter to the side of the bike. I thought I could use the existing bracket but that was a no go. Instead I bought some aluminum and bent my own bracket. I had fun bending, cutting, and figuring it all out. If I get tired of the look I can always go back to stock.

Hey ...looks great...its what personal customizing is all a bout. Curious I have the BAK on its way...how difficult was this to install? how difficult was it ot move the coils......cheers

Don
aka Papa D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

It wasn't hard at all. Just make sure you mark everything so it all goes back the way it should. If you aren't going to change the side cover than there is no reason to move the coils. It's totally optional. What BAK did you buy. I got the Barrons. It is made well and when on pretty easy. The harderst part is taking off the tank (you can move it to the side too) and the stock airbox.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm completely confused on the whole "fake air filter" thing. Why not just put a little cover together to cover the exposed bolt/holes/anything left behind when moving the coils and let those big jugs hang out? This is like getting those fake porthole vents at pep boys and slapping them on a fender.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm definitely going for a sportier look. I also just wanted something different than the stock cover. Some type of cover needs to go on the engine since there are lots of cable connectors in that location.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Yep, so far I don't mind the RH side cover on the Strato-S which is a smaller version than the giant triangle shield on my previous Warrior. On that bike I first did a DIY air cleaner made from two Mr. Gasket chrome holley single barrel air cleaners which gave it a decent hod rod look. Later asked a velocity stack maker to make me a one off version which is what I had on there until I traded it in:

Had I seen your pseudo air cleaner cover a long time ago, I would have gone that way on the Warrior for sure. By the way, what and where did you get to make this cover? I don't recall those details in your earlier posts.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
i like it. and thanks for the inspiration on putting a skull on there. i suggested a jackalope, and the more i think about it, the more i want to do something like that on my bike. i've always said i like the style of the coil cover on the 950, but now all i can think about is how much better a skull will look there instead. the rest of my bike looks like a skull already so i don't know why i hadn't thought of that before. thanks for the inspiration

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the filter at a local autoparts store. It is made for an intake setup. The filter was 20.00 and can be found if you Google chrome air filter intake. It's not the best quality chrome but looks nice. I wanted to put a fancier air filter on there but the only ones I could find cost 100's of dollars. The bracket is made from 1 1/4" aluminum that I bought in ace hardware. I used a large vice to hold it and once I marked where the bends go I used my hammer to help make the bends. Once I installed the bracket I noticed that the air filter sat too high so I added a 3" piece of aluminum, running towards the ground, so I could mount the air filter anywhere I wanted. With this setup I could mount just about anything as a cover. My idea of maybe mounting a skull would only work if the skull is made from real bone which is a fortune. The ones they sell for 25.00 are made from polyresin and would melt so close to the engines. I think I'l keep the air filter for a while. Love teh MOD on the Warrior. Nice setup. Thanks for the positive feedback.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to see what you come up with. My bracket will hold just about anything. Just make sure you don't buy platic since it will probably melt so colse to the engine.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
My idea of maybe mounting a skull would only work if the skull is made from real bone which is a fortune. The ones they sell for 25.00 are made from polyresin and would melt so close to the engines.
not true. there are tons of people selling real skulls online for pretty cheap prices. i'm looking into either coyotes, deer, and other similar sizes. real skulls for around $20 apiece depending on how good they are.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not true. there are tons of people selling real skulls online for pretty cheap prices. i'm looking into either coyotes, deer, and other similar sizes. real skulls for around $20 apiece depending on how good they are.
Your bike looks amazing by the way. I saw some nice pics in one of the threads. I just put on floorbard covers tonight. They were a huge upgrade. I'm loving them. I was going to buy new floorboards but I like the way the OEM fit and how they have the little metal pieces for scraping. Take a look at my exhaust mod let me know what you think? I bought Rush slipon but decided it looked too small for the bike.
I may keep it to see if there is any power gains. Probably not though.

A real skull would be awesome. I wanted a human skull (fake bone) but I'm afraid that someone will pull it off when I park the bike ): I live in NY and there are lots of idiots running around. I doubt they would go after a 20.00 air filter but a Jackalope of skull might be too tempting. I'm glad u liked the MOD. I always lease cars and never can customize them so I'm going to town on this bike.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
Will do. The cool thing is that I can now mount anything I want as a cover. I found a really cool bone skull. I may buy it and then cut it to ab about 3" thick since it comes 7.5" and see if I like it better.
well...i think i'm gonna beat you to it. this is me opening a package today.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts