Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 03 v star 650

Is it better to turn off the bike by using the engine cut off switch or using the key?
I've heard that some bikes you should not use the engine cut off switch to simply turn off the bike because it can mess with the electronics.
I haven't seen anything mentioned in the manual.
I'm sure its not a big deal, but I don't wanna do something that is bad for the bike, though I would like to get use to using the cut off switch in case it ever became necessary.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bike: 03 v star 650

Is it better to turn off the bike by using the engine cut off switch or using the key?
I've heard that some bikes you should not use the engine cut off switch to simply turn off the bike because it can mess with the electronics.
I haven't seen anything mentioned in the manual.
I'm sure its not a big deal, but I don't wanna do something that is bad for the bike, though I would like to get use to using the cut off switch in case it ever became necessary.
I use the cutoff switch first and then the ignition switch. That is the general recommended method. I myself want to know the cutoff switch works properly. This subject will foster differing views so hang on. :grin:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Ether one is ok and will not jackup your bike. If you take a lunch brake or
any 1/2 hour stop and use the switch and forget the key, you will come back to
a dead bike. But if you use only the Key---you'll never have a dead bike .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Although I use the "switch then key" method, Farmall makes a good point. Ask me how I know. :surprise:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I generally alternate between the cutoff switch and the key and every once in a while I'll use the kickstand while in gear just make sure everything is working as it should.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I never use my cut off switch. That's for emergencies. I do park my bike in first gear so when I leave it in gear, I will lower the kick stand which shuts the engine down for me, then I turn the key and remove the key to place it in my pocket.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Key only. The kill switch is for emergencies and the kickstand shut off is a safety feature. I have heard using the kill switch will mess with the ECU on some bikes, but not sure it matters with Yamaha. I do it my way so I don't walk away with the key still in the ignition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. very helpful. I'll probably try using the cut off switch until it becomes a habit and im well aware of using it, and then i will probably switch back to the key

·
Registered
55 Posts
I turn both off simultaneously, always have. It's probably more habit than anything, I've never encountered an issues in doing so on any bike I've ever owned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts