Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents, I'm new to the forum but I've poked around on here for awhile since getting an 08 1100 classic. Great information on here I hope yall can point me in the right direction as I've seen you do for many others. I posted this with my intro but this is probably the better place to put it.
Earlier today I was riding about 65 mph and I started losing speed. Gave it some more throttle and the engine spun up (had a different sound to it) but I didn't get any speed. Pulled the clutch and the engine died. After pulling over it immediately started up and ran normal the rest of the drive home. Any ideas of the direction I should be looking at? All I can think is a hiccup in the fuel line but that is a best guess and I admit it seems unlikely

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How many miles on the bike? Running with fuel on or in reserve? Do you normally drive 65 or above or slower? Has the bike sat any time or is it a daily driver?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just over 10k on it. Bought it 3 months back so I don't know how long it sat previously. It is my primary vehicle so the most it sits is a couple of days in the garage. Daily commute is 30 mph. But I get on the highway at least once to twice a week. The tank has 90 miles since last fill up so I wouldn't think it was gas. Plus it started/ran fine while in the peacock was in the on position after it died. Took it for a ride to try and see if it would do it again and it did it on Decel for a turn

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hard to say without being there.... Have you tried draining the tank completely to check for water or other stuff in the fuel? I think I'd try that before I went much further.

Just a quick question. Do you hear the fuel pump clicking when you turn the ignition switch on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah fuel pump is ticking. I'll try putting fresh gas in and try that. Would it run fine for that long before problems started?

·
Registered
332 Posts
If there is garbage or rust in your tank or fuel filter it could interrupt the fuel flow. Fuel filters are cheap, I'd consider trying a different one. When the tank is low you could also take a peek down in there just to confirm you're not seeing sediment or rust in there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree with starting simple and working your way to more complicated items.

+1 on Drain and replace the fuel and change the fuel filter.

+1 on checking for stuff in the the tank - I have had three instances of this - one was a small piece of red plastic from inside a fuel jug blocking the tank outlet on a lawn mower, one was a wasp blocking the tank outlet on a tractor and the last was accumulated rust particles blocking the outlet on a generator. All of which were intermittent, the first two were aggravating as h3ll! The third time I had learned to check for blockage in the tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not trying to bad vib you, but after you've checked all the routine stuff, I had a bike once that would quit for no good reason and then after sitting a few minutes would start and run normally. I finally pulled the head and found mucho carbon around the exhaust valve and seat. After after doing the valves the problem went away. Good Luck, Wavelenght.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. I'm running fresh gas and I have had the engine die yet. Another quick question I get significant surging/bucking when acceleration slowly or holding steady at slow speeds (20-30 mph). I'm thinking most likely a clogged jet, but is there anything else that could cause this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slayer, down shifting is about the smoothest it gets at the lower speeds. Ultimately it does it in 2 or 3rd gear, seems to be worse in 3rd. Feels like you are on a bumpy road even though you arent. Not nearly as noticeable at highway speeds. Just slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Try some StarTron fuel system cleaner. It's formulated for Alcohol fuel clogs. I put it in the tank ride for ten minutes let it sit an hour repeat as necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts