Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
The temps look very good. The exhaust temps are actually pretty low. The engine cylinder one are well below the 300 mark. The cylinder temp is always higher than the oil temp. Keeping oil below 300 has always been the goal in any engine and looks like Yamaha did good.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The temps look very good. The exhaust temps are actually pretty low. The engine cylinder one are well below the 300 mark. The cylinder temp is always higher than the oil temp. Keeping oil below 300 has always been the goal in any engine and looks like Yamaha did good.
I was shocked at the exhaust pipe temps, the heat shield work really well.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
the exhaust is the temp of burning gasoline - its blown out of the cylinder within milliseconds of being ignited.

On some high performance engines the exhaust pipes will glow red at night.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
checking the temp of the exhaust pipes right at the heads is a good way to see if the pistons are running pretty much evenly.

The cylinders and heads will be different because of the airflow over the engine, unless the engine is watercooled.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am going to use my temp sensor, for grins and giggles, to see what the temp of my exhaust is. I'll report back.
So this morning, I checked mine about a minute after starting up Big Bertha. 90°F both pipes at header.
Road to work. 30 mile, 50 minutes. 196°F at header. Engine around headers, between 194°F - 204°F.
I'm ok with that. But, I gotta say. The rear pipe is under the upper inside of my right leg and it feels WAY HOTTER then that at lights. As we all know, feelings & facts are not always the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts