Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys,

Been away for a while - riding just about every day since 1 March even through the pandemic shutdown - no contact with anyone ans it sure makes it weird.

JUst talked with my local dealer and it will be mid to late August before they can even look at the bike so I'm just asking for any input.

It's a 2015 V-Star XVS65a Classic- last made / sold in Canada in 2016. -I bought it new old stock 1 April 2017 with0.9 km on the odometer and I now have 72500 km (45000 miles) - regular oil and filter changes and not too heavy on the acceleration.

What's happening is that around 75kph ) 45mph) I get a whiring sound almost like a wheel bearing but it goes away when you pull in the clutch - it's most noticable if you lean forward toward the windshield. - it almost sounds as if there are two sounds - kind of like a whir / whir slightly out of sync. It isn't here if you keep the engine rev'd up with the clutch pulled in.

Seems to be coming from the front but could be anywhere.

Any thoughts?????

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300 & 2008 v star 250
255 Posts
I've heard people speak of a "harmonic balance " type of sound you describe, but it's strange if you haven't noticed it after all those miles. I hope its not serious.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My '09' 650 has a whine at about 45 mph and again at about 70 mph. the one at 70 is real loud. It only does it under load so it goes away when you pull the clutch in. I have heard others talk about this noise and it does have a harmonic component to it. I think it is the straight cut primary gears causing it and don't think it is a problem, other than the annoyance . I wear earplugs! Seems to help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I'll ride it for now or until it gets worse - hopefully not.

As to not hearing it before - 40% deafness in both ears goes a long way to not hearing things.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
Bill, nice to hear from you. Stay safe.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Les,

The more I ride this bike the more I like it - for me a great beginners bike and probably at age 74 the only bike I'll own - have ridden HD Road King and Heritage Classics but still keep coming back to this one - easy on gas, maintenance and insurance.

Here in Ontario my annual insurance is $1050.00 and if I go over 900 cc it almost doubles so all the more reason to turn insurance money into gas and make memories.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the bike in to a maintenance shop - they've been around for 50+ years - they heard the noise and thought it might be drive line - checked everything out and still there - so they concluded that it's a harmonic vibration and just keep and ear out to make sure it doesn't increase - not enough for them to be concerned.

So a riding I will go. I'm still determined to get 100,000 miles (160,000 km) out of it and aside from that low rumble which isn't there all the time I've had no other issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts