Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm the new guy in town.
I have a 1999 V-Star 1100
My engine has a ticking noise in it when it is idling.
If I use the throttle to raise the RPM's the ticking disappears.
It does not tick at all under load.
The valves are properly adjusted and the timing chain tensioners are operating correctly. I have had the bike at 2 different bike shops and so far unable to advise me of the problem.
Outside of that the bike is running beautifully.
Has anyone experienced this in the past.

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Noise

Wayne,

There are lots of talk about noise here. Tough to make a judgement without really hearing it. But, my two cents worth. Look around the site and read some of the other posts on engine noises. The first thing most of us do is make them more noisy. By changing air intake and exhaust.

V Twin engine specially air cooled V Twins are inherantly noisy. The engine is close by and out in the clear. The valves have solid lifters, a small gap is correct. Having said that some of what you hear is not valves at all but air intake. I remember a buddy with a Gold Wing giving me his expert opinion that he could hear my valves. I had never paid any attention to it. But his noise was air intake.

My advise, just ride if there is a problem the bike will tell you. You could temporarily remove the air filter to see if your noise gets louder or changes.

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi all I'm the new guy in town.
I have a 1999 V-Star 1100
My engine has a ticking noise in it when it is idling.
If I use the throttle to raise the RPM's the ticking disappears.
It does not tick at all under load.
The valves are properly adjusted and the timing chain tensioners are operating correctly. I have had the bike at 2 different bike shops and so far unable to advise me of the problem.
Outside of that the bike is running beautifully.
Has anyone experienced this in the past.

Thanks
Wayne
Dave is telling you straight, V twins make noise, a lot of it. As he says, don't worry about it, till is says do something. Another story here by Sugar Bear, got a buddy who is forever adjusting valves, jackin with this and that thinkin it makes too much noise, something wrong, I just go :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 03, 1100 and recently switched to a 20 W 50 full synthetic oil.
My bike runs much quieter and about 10 degrees cooler.
Try it on your next oil change.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have an 03, 1100 and recently switched to a 20 W 50 full synthetic oil.
My bike runs much quieter and about 10 degrees cooler.
Try it on your next oil change.
Sugar Bear don't mean nothing here, he is just curious, how do you know you are runnin 10degrees cooler with an air cooled engine? I do agree 20-50 is the way to go. I guess you got an add on temp gauge for your engine, or oil temp gauge? Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
With a laser thermometer aimed at the cylinders while running.
After a long ride I am just over 200 degrees.
Before it would go 220 plus sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 07 1100 silverado and have had the ticking noise from day 1. I also have taken it to a number of different places and they all tell me that it is normal for this bike to tick. I have 10,000 miles on it without problems. hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
With my loud pipes I don't hear any ticking. It also helps to be deaf. LOL:):)
This is exactly what happened to me... I just removed my noisy pipes, and put on the stock pipes... so i don't get deaf...
And now, i started hearing this ticking noise... it worried me, but i am glad to hear that this is normal. :)

It also coincided with my oil change, it is an '08 vstar 1100 classic, bought it 6 weeks ago, and did my first oil change, and i put 20w50 NON synthetic oil, and was asking myself, if that could be the cause of the ticking noise.

But i think, it is just because i now hear the engine with the stock pipes :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yep, these engines make noise. Poor vale train geometry with in turn is a good thing since this rotates your valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts