Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding my wife's '02 VStar 1100 This morning the low pressure oil light came on after I reached about 60 mph. It went off as soon as I dropped below about 40 mph. After I turned around to head home, I sped up to double check and the same thing happened. Knowing this is probably an rpm problem not speed, I welcome any advice as to where to start trouble shooting. Yes the oil level is full. Not finding much on this forum on this problem it must not be a common thing.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
The oil light on the 1100 is a oil level light and not pressure. You mentioned that the oil level was full. Where is the level line at? Is it in between the two marks on the sight glass? What kind of oil is in the bike? I know it's a lot of questions but maybe the oil is foaming and this is triggering the sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike has Amsoil in it. The level is just slightly below center in the sight glass. It has about 1000 mi on it since the last oil change. We have had the bike for 2 yr. and never have had this happen before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added just enough oil to bring the level up to about 1/8 in below the upper mark on the sight glass. During the test ride (any excuse will do to go for a ride) several miles and the light never came on. If that is a little too much oil I can pull a little back out. So I believe things are good. Thanks for all the help and advise.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sounds like my wife's 05' custom, I have to fill the oil level to just above the upper level line about 1/8" or the oil light comes on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts