Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - quick question. I have a 2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom, runs great, however, engine pings on startup when cold - does it for about 1 minute then its fine and runs good. What causes that? :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious... the 1100's use a choke correct? Are you pulling out the choke when starting it cold? You need to pull the choke out, let it warm up, then push it back in after it's at running temperature.
Yeah - full choke for a half a minute or so then graudually pull the choke back out. I think it may be the gas, last 2 tankfulls I've used like 89 octane instead of the super. I should probably stick with higher octane.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah - full choke for a half a minute or so then graudually pull the choke back out. I think it may be the gas, last 2 tankfulls I've used like 89 octane instead of the super. I should probably stick with higher octane.
I don't know how the choke knob is on the 1100, but normally you pull the choke OUT to start a bike (this cuts out or "chokes" the air and allows only or more fuel in)... after it is at running temp, the choke knob is then pushed back in (lets air flow back in) for normal operation.

I hope you're not doing this backwards... if all is right with the choke procedure, then you may need your carbs cleaned. Running Seafoam in your tank every once in a while will help maintain everything clean.

Higher octane gas is not necessarily "better" gas. I have a 1300 and put in only 87 octane all the time. Does great. Here's why... higher octane makes gasoline more resistant to detonation. That is all higher octane does, this is why it is normally used in high performance engines - they have a higher compression ratio, thus making the temperature in the compression chamber hotter, which causes lower octane gas to detonate sooner, causing the famous pinging you hear on some vehicles... higher octane prevents this by making the fuel less ignitable, so the fuel won't ignite with the higher temps before the spark plug introduces the spark to ignite it.

What you want to do is use only quality gas, "top tier" gas, such as from Shell, Chevron, Phillips 66, with good detergent additives to help keep your bike (and car) running clean and prevent carbon buildup, and a couple oz's of seafoam in your motorcycle fuel tank once every 4 tanks or so will also help maintain things clean.

Here's a list of top tier gas retailers submitted by BMW, Audi, GM, Toyota, Honda and Volkswagon:

Petro-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Phillips 66
Chevron
QuikTrip
Chevron Canada
Rebel Oil
Conoco
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Severson Oil
Entec Stations
Shell
Esso
Shell Canada
Exxon
Sunoco Canada
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Mileage Stations
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Mobil
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
U.S. Oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how the choke knob is on the 1100, but normally you pull the choke OUT to start a bike (this cuts out or "chokes" the air and allows only or more fuel in)... after it is at running temp, the choke knob is then pushed back in (lets air flow back in) for normal operation.

I hope you're not doing this backwards... if all is right with the choke procedure, then you may need your carbs cleaned. Running Seafoam in your tank every once in a while will help maintain everything clean.

Higher octane gas is not necessarily "better" gas. I have a 1300 and put in only 87 octane all the time. Does great. Here's why... higher octane makes gasoline more resistant to detonation. That is all higher octane does, this is why it is normally used in high performance engines - they have a higher compression ratio, thus making the temperature in the compression chamber hotter, which causes lower octane gas to detonate sooner, causing the famous pinging you hear on some vehicles... higher octane prevents this by making the fuel less ignitable, so the fuel won't ignite with the higher temps before the spark plug introduces the spark to ignite it.

What you want to do is use only quality gas, "top tier" gas, such as from Shell, Chevron, Phillips 66, with good detergent additives to help keep your bike (and car) running clean and prevent carbon buildup, and a couple oz's of seafoam in your motorcycle fuel tank once every 4 tanks or so will also help maintain things clean.

Here's a list of top tier gas retailers submitted by BMW, Audi, GM, Toyota, Honda and Volkswagon:

Petro-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Phillips 66
Chevron
QuikTrip
Chevron Canada
Rebel Oil
Conoco
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Severson Oil
Entec Stations
Shell
Esso
Shell Canada
Exxon
Sunoco Canada
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Mileage Stations
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Mobil
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
U.S. Oil
Yeah - I'm doing the choke correctly, starts right up - it's just the pinging for the first minute. Thanks on the gas octane info - interesting...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You might want to check the adjustment of your TPSensors. Is it hard to start? These carbs don't actually have a choke (no choke plate), but an enrichening circuit (another pathway that adds fuel). If your throttle position sensor is misadjusted you could have advanced ignition at idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might want to check the adjustment of your TPSensors. Is it hard to start? These carbs don't actually have a choke (no choke plate), but an enrichening circuit (another pathway that adds fuel). If your throttle position sensor is misadjusted you could have advanced ignition at idle.
Yeah, it typically starts up pretty good - how involved is checking the TPSensors?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts