Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a manuel but is a few weeks out. Parts came early so planning on tackling it this weekend. Have to Install valve seals on cylinder #2(which is all torn apart) and reinstall everything. Havnt found anything to detailed for help so reaching out here for help!
1) When installing valve seals do I just press in by hand? Or do they need tapped/oiled in?
2)how to Install keepers without Install tool
3) How do I check timing for cylinder #2?
4) torque specs on everything?

·
Premium Member
2000 Yamaha V-Star 650
231 Posts
manualslib.com is where I downloaded my service manual, didn't cost anything, I'm having upload issues or I would have uploaded it, hope that helps

·
Registered
99 Roadie
849 Posts
Valve guide seals can usually be set in place by hand, a socket can be used to push it into place if it's difficult.
Usually will go on dry, if not I use silicon spray (spray some into the cap and apply a tiny ammount to the inside of the seal with a cotton swab) silicon will absorb into the material and will allow good bond to the top of the guide.
Don't use cheap seals, stick with OEM.

The keepers are a pain no matter how you do them.
I've found the easiest way to get them in place is with a small screwdriver or pick with a dab of sticky grease to hold the keeper and a second pick to push the keeper into place.

Don't use a magnet on the keepers, it will magnetize them and if you drop one into the head during install it will stick to something and be hard to retrieve.

Also do this on a clean bench over a clean floor, it makes it easier to find the keeper if it gets dropped ( or goes flying......trust me, it happens)

Timing marks and torque specs come from the manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used a large 'C' clamp with the top 'pad' of it notched just enough to allow my keepers reinstallation. I did this with my Dremil tool/bench grinder/chainsaw file to create a homebrewed more efficient tool than I expected for both the valve's egress and ingress. I'm sure your mileage will likely vary, but I hope that helps you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts