Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone damage someone's bike accidentally?

When I was 16 and my best buddy's dad bought a 84 Goldwing new from the dealer his son was hot to show off the bike to everyone. We muscled it down the slanted driveway and started it up. He showed off the radio, the fairing and bags and beer case. We were all in awe of this wonderful toy. He shut of and tried to push it back up the driveway between his dad's classics cars, we were not strong enough to manage it.

So he gets it into his head that he could ride it up. Starts it, revs the engine and drops it into 1st. Then promptly whiskey throttles it......he made it 15 feet before smacking into the ass end of his dad's favorite car.

A 1972 AMC Javelin SST

The front forks of the bike were collapsed and the front tire was pushing into the rad. The body work on the bike was scarred badly. The bike only had 300 miles on it before it had to go back into the dealer for massive amounts of work. The AMC had to have the rear bumper replaced and some body work on the trunk needed to be done.

He was grounded for 3 months and had to get a job to pay his dad back. I suspect he also got his ass tanned for his startling lack of wisdom.

Whats to be learned from this? HIDE YOUR KEYS!

Lets hear some stories!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
When i was 17 my brother borrowed my MT 250 enduro. I didn't know it at the time but he was drinking and doing dumb crap. He brought it back the next day and the tail light face had scratches. The frame holding the rear fender was bent upward and the Exhaust was bent by the block. It turns out ha lost a wheelie and hit a car. It cost him $350 to buy my new exhaust. I don't know who's car he it that was his problem. I forgot about that it was over 40 yrs ago. I am going to kentucky next month to see him i think i am going to have to remind him about that. He was 19 at the time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This thread is off to a great start ! I think a lot of old memories are gonna be brought up.
I was driving my good friend's 16ft. runabout in the darkness of Georgian Bay, him sitting on the deck and me on a bucket.
Approaching an S bend into a narrow channel, he says "I think you have to go a little this way ". "Which way??? , BAM !!
Over a 20ft shoal we go. The boat is filling up and there's a thumb size hole in the lower unit.
He doesn't bat an eye, just says "we gotta go".
The next morning, he swapped bottom ends while I fibreglass, and we were waterskiing by that afternoon.
I did eventually buy it from him, but never got reverse working properly.
It's not bike related, but an epic fail nonetheless.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,948 Posts
This is bringing up memories. Back in the late 70s and early 80s I was very active in street racing. Yea, I know, it's wrong. There was a place on the south side of Houston named "The Hole". There was a road cut for a Business Park that was never built. Straight, smooth half mile. Every Sunday evening every drag bike in Houston would show up. Being able to handle a bike pretty good and weighing next to nothing, I was a hired gun, I raced other people's bikes for money. I usually charges 20% of the bet, win or lose. I had a pretty good reputation for winning. At times there would be 5 fiquire money on some of these races. The bike owners had the money, but not the experience to ride all out. At times I was given direction to do no matter what to win. This was in the day that rev limiters were not very good and most of the time didn't have one. I probably blew 1 in 10 motors. These were built motors with every go fast part on it. No one got upset, they knew their bike only had a slim chance of winning and money to them was no big deal. We would remove rear shocks and put solid struts, compress the front and tie them up. The bike was basically solid, front and rear to aid traction and keep front end down, very few had wheelie bars. Had a solid 5 years plus of this action before we got shut down by the cops. Carla, my wife, used to go with me. Looking back, those were some wild times. Thanks for the topic, it's been a while since I really thought about those days. This was probably my favorite bike, CBX, 6 cylinder, this is not the exact bike, but set up was the same. In the day, it was one wicket bike, won lots of money with this one. After a while we never could get a heads up race, we almost always had to spot the other bike or at least give the hit.

·
Administrator
13,409 Posts
i learned how to ride on a roommate's '84 honda rebel 250 around our apartment complex parking lots. not sure what i did, but either the clutch or brake messed up maybe the 2nd time i was riding it. at the time i just chalked it up to some maintenance needed on an old bike (this was 20 years ago) but chances are it was something i did. at least he probably thought it was my fault at the time.

·
Registered
763 Posts
i learned how to ride on a roommate's '84 honda rebel 250 around our apartment complex parking lots. not sure what i did, but either the clutch or brake messed up maybe the 2nd time i was riding it. at the time i just chalked it up to some maintenance needed on an old bike (this was 20 years ago) but chances are it was something i did. at least he probably thought it was my fault at the time.
If there were no broken bones, then you got lucky. Parking lots are nasty places to ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts