Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Error Number 42 : Speed sensor error / Neutral sensor in short-circuit - DIAG mode 07-21

Advice?

Speed sensor location?

Neutral sensor location? And also maybe check connections on the kick stand switch too?

I needa buy me a book.

It just came on the other day while I had my wife in the driveway playing with the clutch and throttle (getting ready for her BRC course). Just looked up the code today.

Edit: Well for an update, it went away when I was riding. Maybe the ECU went bonkers cause my wife was going up/backwards over and over in the driveway, feeling out the clutch. I dunno. Its fine for now I guess.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh, and since I wasted your time, here's a pic :D

Got the wife her first bike. Suzuki Boulevard S40. Went looking at a used Vstar 250 for her (believe it or not those are hard to find around here, Rebles EVERYWHERE, but she thinks they're too cramped, and I agree).

So after weighing pros and cons, went went with this. Size/weight of a quarter liter, but has a single cylinder 650. Pretty bike. I feel its a happy medium. Not over powered for her, but room to grow, handles like a 250 in the slow stuff, does highway/interstate just fine. Being lighter, had some wind bursts at 70mph coming home on the interstate when the big rigs passed by, but its 381lbs, so it was expected. Put 52 miles on it riding home, boy I realize how I'm spoiled with a backrest and windscreen on my 950T :D

1484685_10155368198455486_1808031742538734135_n.jpg

I think this is the wave the "250s" should ride. Its the perfect beginner bike, and unlike a 250, you can grow into it for a good long time. Physically the size of a 250, similar weight, high MPGs, but its a 650. Great option. You listening Yamaha? lol Key ignition, locked tool access and helmet lock is the same key, but front forks has its own mini key? WTF. Stupid.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its something how a 650 today is considered a beginners bike. In fact I'd argue my 1100 is a better starter bike than a 650. Only because you wont keep a 650 for long.

Back when I was a kid, a 650 was a BIG motorcycle. Triumphs, BSA's. The biggest displacement I'm aware of back then was the Harley Electraglide which was a 1200 CC. The Norton 850 Commando I "think" was the fastest production motorcycle in those days. Things have changed. For the better. Aww crap I'm reminiscing again. Sorry about that.

Glad the error (no idea what it means) disappeared. Your ole lady will enjoy that little one lunger. Neat little bike.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I hear ya, few decades ago people went touring cross country on 200cc bikes. Now they're 'beginner' bikes. But, I guess the caveat to that is bikes handle better now, better brakes, better suspension. So engine power aside, all these new bikes are easier for any new rider than bikes of the past. And those older bikes didn't weigh 800lbs either.

But since bikes are labled via their displacement, its not so much a 250cc is a beginners bike, just the size and weight. I still have fun on 250s. And her single 650 is a fun "little" scoot.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A 650 was a big bike because it took very little to make it fast enough to run a sub 13 second 1/4 mile. The same bikes racing were the same ones with Windjammers, bags and tall sissy bars on them. And the UJM did it pretty well. When the UJM died, a chunk of motorsports was laid to rest with it. My opinion, of course. I'm partial to the KZ650.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: error 42. It's the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything"! ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Re: error 42. It's the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything"! ;)
"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts