Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
converted from sportbike to cruiser......love my big roady, but also condsidering a second bike which will probably be something along the lines of a FZ7 or FZ9, or maybe the new R3.

Here is my bike history - started riding when i was a sophmore in high school.
1970 Honda SL100, got rear ended by intoxicated female after work, lucky to still be here to tell this.....
1975 Yamaha RD350B, did the expansion chambers, ignition coils, DG heads, put a RD 400 tank on it.
1988 Kawasaki 600 Ninja
1980 Honda CB750F
1992 Kawasaki ZX11 - this was bad ass back then! ! !
2000 Honda RC51, lots of mods, lots of fun, great trackdays
2008 Yamaha Roadliner

Luvin Mr Roady - just waiting for some more funds to put exhaust and bags on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
all I can say, if it's got handle bars, I'm gonna ride it. started with dirt bikes, but I've had many motorcycles over the years. right now I have an 01 vstar 1100, that's my main ride. an 03 yzf600r, when I want something a little more exciting. a 90 fzr600 that's jetted and fast as "you know the swear word", when I feel suicidal. and a 94 warrior 350 to plow snow and pull the neighbor kids around in a cart. I love my Yamaha's!! plus two 95 sea doo's ( yes, they have handlebars also).

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm sure you've noticed that certain demographics gravitate toward either the cruiser world or the sportbike world. why is that? which sections of the populace do you see more on cruisers vs. sportbikes?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bevo, looks like you are wantin to stir the stink like the Bear used to do:D Good deal, glad to see it:cool: To answer, at least for me, seems the more mature folks(read older) seem to run the crusier side, while the younger full of piss and vinegar folks run the sport bikes, at least that is the way it is in my neck of the woods.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Ah Sugar Bear,
As usual, you're right on top of things. The youngsters are the overwhelming riders of the sport bikes in my area whilst us "mature" riders straddle the cruisers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I enjoy both. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a brisk ride atop a two-wheeled rocket and other times I feel like a more relaxed ride. I'm the type of rider who enjoys all of it and prefers (when finances allow) to own a sample of both.

I started out on an '05 Rebel (sold in '07), then bought my stilled-owned SV650, then I bought a ZX636 in 2010 and road raced the stink out of it, then I wanted another cruiser in 2011 so picked up a Hyosung GV650. I sold the ZX636 and GV650 in early 2012, got the cruiser bug again in 2013 so I picked up my Shadow 500 and recently I wanted a bigger cruiser so I picked up the Star.

I started converting my SV650 into an ADV bike of sorts last year, for no other reason than I wanted a different type of ride but didn't want to sell my beloved SV so decided that it was a perfect platform for a little modification. I've added a windscreen, hand guards, fabricated a skid-plate and purchased some dual sport tires that are awaiting the current Mich Pilot Powers to be worn out so they can be installed. I plan to pick up some sport-touring bags and an engine guard this year to complete the package.

However, being as that I'm an addict to two wheels I'm eye balling a Bandit 1200S or 1250S to give me a little more 'sport' but without sacrificing comfort. I've done the super sport thing and as I'm getting older as well as having a bum back, I'm more inclined to go with the standard riding position for my sporting desires.

Enough about me. To the topic, I do generally find that the younger generation of riders usually prefer the super sports complete with all the @ss hauling they can handle. I can appreciate that, I get the bug every now and then to go faster through tighter corners than a mature and responsible individual should.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Do you want an ugly bike ? Or do you want a cruiser?
nuff said right there! :D

As far a demographics of different bike types...I have always noticed that the folks I see on crotch rockets are more arrogant and ride like they have something to prove. How many times have you been passed on the interstate by a bunch of cruisers doing wheelies and taking up all the lanes to pass everyone around them? Doubt you have. I know that's not true of all but sure is of some.

·
Registered
417 Posts
nuff said right there! :D

As far a demographics of different bike types...I have always noticed that the folks I see on crotch rockets are more arrogant and ride like they have something to prove. How many times have you been passed on the interstate by a bunch of cruisers doing wheelies and taking up all the lanes to pass everyone around them? Doubt you have. I know that's not true of all but sure is of some.
I selected a cruiser because I have important body parts that I do not like to sit on like would happen on a sportbike. I prefer to use those parts for more important things. I suppose SOME sportbike riders don't have such parts so they "compensate". It isn't necessary for me to compensate....:D

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Being in AR, there's not much in the way of ethnic group riders, it can be pretty one sided here.

But demographics, age seems to be the be all end all for this answer. Young guys on sports bikes. But cruisers are overwhelmingly predominate here, young or old. Followed by tourings. Sports bikes are always young guys here, usually driving like maniacs, sadly.

Even in the realm of young riders, I'll watch a young guy on a sport bike weaving between lanes, no blinkers, cutting people off. And right next to him, a young guy on a cruiser, happily puttering on in the right lane.

And then, to throw a curve ball, the majority of the idiots on the cruisers doing the weaving and cutting off, seem to be middle aged men, 40s.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Being in AR, there's not much in the way of ethnic group riders, it can be pretty one sided here.

But demographics, age seems to be the be all end all for this answer. Young guys on sports bikes. But cruisers are overwhelmingly predominate here, young or old. Followed by tourings. Sports bikes are always young guys here, usually driving like maniacs, sadly.

Even in the realm of young riders, I'll watch a young guy on a sport bike weaving between lanes, no blinkers, cutting people off. And right next to him, a young guy on a cruiser, happily puttering on in the right lane.

And then, to throw a curve ball, the majority of the idiots on the cruisers doing the weaving and cutting off, seem to be middle aged men, 40s.
Probably Victory riders. :D

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Probably Victory riders. :D
Maybe, we have a dealer here. I'm a start taking note what make/model next time it happens just outa curiosity now :D Keep my eyes peeled for a big red V and 106 logos

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
LOL...... to be stuck with only a cruiser is like being stuck dating only fat girls. I love a little variety.....sport, dirt, adventure.....they all have their place in my world.

·
Registered
85 Posts
LOL...... to be stuck with only a cruiser is like being stuck dating only fat girls. I love a little variety.....sport, dirt, adventure.....they all have their place in my world.
Being stuck on a sport bike you will only be dating the same sex

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts