Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone watching this? On live now. History Channel.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just watched him complete the first one.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Knievel did all of his jumps at first on street bikes, and later on HD flat track racing bikes.

Since he quit jumping his records have all been broken by riders on modern motorcross motorcycles. The record now is over 3 times farther than Knievel ever jumped.

Imagine that! Imagine if Knievel did one of his best jumps, then some kid on a motorcross bike rides up behind him and jumps THREE TIMES as far!

The record now is so stupidly far and dangerous, that you either make it and land clean, or you die.

Guess this guy doesn't want to deal with that.

Maybe some runner will try to break the 4 minute mile, wearing 1970 Converse sneakers.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the jumps tonight are on an Indian flat track bike. I think it's a good tribute to Evel. I remember Evel doing the jumps. Hey, at least it's a motorcycle event on prime time. Not sure it's the way we want people thinking of us out there riding.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I use to love jumping my '78 IT175. Would hit a slope about 15 feet high at 45 mph, it was maybe 30 degrees - and just fly.

Never crashed, never fell, never got hurt.

I had a friend take this ONE photo of me in the air next to a corn field without my helmet - only did that once. Its been photoshopped to look like a pen drawing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts