Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Vstar 1300 Touring / 2003 Yamaha FZ1
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to me yesterday on my way to work on my FZ1. Never seen anything like this in my life.

The thread looking stuff is the inside of the tire blown outward, this was after getting the tire off the bike:
Window Road surface Automotive tire Grey Wood

Video of the event:

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
819 Posts
Lot of debris on that shoulder, looks like some type of foreign object plowed through your tire. If you are implying it was a defective tire, i doubt it. 2 hours isn't too bad considering your position, i remember every flat taking a long time to get out of. Too bad this happened, glad you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
794 Posts
I know that was a long 2 hours wait.....wow. Good control to get it safely stopped out of traffic. Can't recall ever seeing damage like that. That must have been some gnarly shrapnel out there on the road.

Glad you're ok.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
Real bummer, been there before. As others said, great job on a safe stop, I know it gets real squirmy. Also, nice to see you geared up. Probably something compromised the tire cords and it let go, actually doesn't take much. You've got nice LEO in your area. When I was in Houston on side of road the LEO wouldn't even slow down. Yes, getting a wrecker for a bike can be challenging, the drivers don't like messing with it.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
819 Posts
Happened to me yesterday on my way to work on my FZ1. Never seen anything like this in my life.

The thread looking stuff is the inside of the tire blown outward, this was after getting the tire off the bike:
Wondering how old that rear tire was, i see you're riding a 2003 FZ1. Tires don't look new, how old?

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
2,101 Posts
A bloke at the gym, 65 years old now and a speed maniac, suffered a puncture about a decade back. Instead of waiting for a rescue truck, he sat himself on the tank of his Fireblade and continued home for the remaining 30 miles, passing tons of cars on the two-lane road, doing about 80-90mph, rear fishtailing like crazy all the time. Nutter. But very competent when it comes to bike control.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
819 Posts
A bloke at the gym, 65 years old now and a speed maniac, suffered a puncture about a decade back. Instead of waiting for a rescue truck, he sat himself on the tank of his Fireblade and continued home for the remaining 30 miles, passing tons of cars on the two-lane road, doing about 80-90mph, rear fishtailing like crazy all the time. Nutter. But very competent when it comes to bike control.
I've made it home more than not, with a slower leak in the rear, one time i remember hearing air escape as i was pulling into my trailer park. Of course i've been stuck on the road too. Never had a "blowout" or rapid loss of air due to major puncture.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I forgot to mentioned he plugged the puncture, but the plug blew out instantly when he hit 120 mph, causing an instant loss of pressure. That's when he continued in the manner I described. I would not have done the same thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Klurejr,

So happy to see and hear you made it through in the best way possible. My compliments on how you handled it and also for being fully loaded with protective gear. I've never had it happen to me, I only hope I can handle it as well and professionally as you did. My sadness that it happened at all, but happy has hades you came out with only some money out of pocket on a tire replacement.

All the best,

Reactions: Klurejr

·
Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
202 Posts

View attachment 119236

Video of the event:

Why the awful music. Good to see that you had plenty of help and did not lose control of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lot of debris on that shoulder, looks like some type of foreign object plowed through your tire. If you are implying it was a defective tire, i doubt it. 2 hours isn't too bad considering your position, i remember every flat taking a long time to get out of. Too bad this happened, glad you weren't hurt.
The tire blew while I was in the CarPool lane, not on the shoulder. I was going about 70mph when it went. The damage is from the inside out. I do not think I hit anything.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wondering how old that rear tire was, i see you're riding a 2003 FZ1. Tires don't look new, how old?
Bought it in 2019, it had 7k miles on it. The last 2 shinko ravens I used on this bike made it to 11k before they got too flat and the tread was gone.

Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Klurejr,

So happy to see and hear you made it through in the best way possible. My compliments on how you handled it and also for being fully loaded with protective gear. I've never had it happen to me, I only hope I can handle it as well and professionally as you did. My sadness that it happened at all, but happy has hades you came out with only some money out of pocket on a tire replacement.

All the best,
Thank you. I would like to think many years and hundred's of thousands of miles on 2 wheels has given me some good instincts to know when something is off. And yes, dress for the slide, not the ride is my motto. I was super hot on my ride home yesterday, got home - stripped off my gear and jumped in the pool with my family to cool my body down.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
794 Posts
Bought it in 2019, it had 7k miles on it. The last 2 shinko ravens I used on this bike made it to 11k before they got too flat and the tread was gone.
Was that also a Shinko? I'm curious because I had a Shinko (SE890) rear tire tread separate. It happened over time and never got worse than a large goose egg. It was near the middle of the tire tread/carcass and caused such a bounce that I had to replace it a less than 5k. Thankfully it never came apart. But I haven't been brave enough to try another one....

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was that also a Shinko? I'm curious because I had a Shinko (SE890) rear tire tread separate. It happened over time and never got worse than a large goose egg. It was near the middle of the tire tread/carcass and caused such a bounce that I had to replace it a less than 5k. Thankfully it never came apart. But I haven't been brave enough to try another one....
Yeah, this was my 5th Shinko Raven on the Rear and I am currently on my third up front. The fronts last about 13-14k. My 4th Raven on the rear clipped something sharp and started to split at 6k, so I replaced it, but the first 3 went 9654 miles, 9662 miles and 11,345 miles. So having a failure at 7k miles is "early" for tire wear in my experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanRides

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
794 Posts
Yeah, this was my 5th Shinko Raven on the Rear and I am currently on my third up front. The fronts last about 13-14k. My 4th Raven on the rear clipped something sharp and started to split at 6k, so I replaced it, but the first 3 went 9654 miles, 9662 miles and 11,345 miles. So having a failure at 7k miles is "early" for tire wear in my experience.
Hmmm, that lends some credence to the tire just failing. There are other stories of Shinkos falling apart without warning out there on the internet. Lack of quality control might explain some of Shinko's lower price point, but may also increase the chances of getting the "one" that acts up.

Good luck going forward and I hope the next one runs like the first 4 did.

Reactions: Klurejr

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm, that lends some credence to the tire just failing. There are other stories of Shinkos falling apart without warning out there on the internet. Lack of quality control might explain some of Shinko's lower price point, but may also increase the chances of getting the "one" that acts up.

Good luck going forward and I hope the next one runs like the first 4 did.
The next one is a Michelin Road Sport 4. I fear it was a faulty tire and don't want to deal with that again. I know I won't have that issue with the Michelin as long as it is not ridden to the metal.

The front will need to be replaced in a few thousand miles and I will probably go to a Road 4 as well at that point.

My local shop beat the price point of RockyMountainATV (where I had purchased all the Shinkos) so I was happy with that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I loved the PR4 on my Deauville. Only tire I ever had that did not wear somewhat flat in the middle, but kept its profile to the end of life, with smooth even wear from shoulder to shoulder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts