Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went around the corner near my apartment and did a small pull, checking the tune (which is god awful) I hit 40 mph and the bike started to sputter, and then died. I coasted on the clutch, started it up again and it was tumbling. then it died again, within 10 seconds. I coasted to a stop, and the starter is verymuch so working. nice and strong actually. Battery power is great. Its turning the engine like crazy. After waiting about 5 minutes I started her up, and she ran pretty well for about 10 seconds and then died again. Then I started her up with a big choke, and was able to turn around and kind of make it home. but I ended up coasting to my parking space because she died again. Im sure its an air fuel thing, and the carb heater is broken but its like 50-60 degrees out. Is it freezing over?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drain the carb bowls might be water. might be fuel pump if it is check the Kb for a cheap priced one. V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - Fuel Pump
It's probably water I did a poormand synch I'm gonna go drain the carb bowls. The carbs wouldn't freeze at 50F right? i know there's a venturi but 4 minutes of driving doesn't feel like it would freeze that quickly. I wasn't even going fast.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If it starts back up after cooling check the voltage regulator, did the speedo do anything weird? Or it could me ignitor , these are both heat sensitive when close to dying.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it starts back up after cooling check the voltage regulator, did the speedo do anything weird? Or it could me ignitor , these are both heat sensitive when close to dying.
I just switched out the voltage regulator. it was used but still crispy. also, my battery is charging well and the bike would turn over beautifully, just not start. I think its air/fuel and will let you know when I rebuild the carbs. I have drained the bowls for the time being, but it smelled very gassy and it didn't seem like water came out, which would be noticeable since water sinks to the bottom. (thank god)
The lights and speedo seem fine, the lights just dim out a bit when I try to start it but I feel like that's normal, especially since I upgraded them to LEDs

/also
when I went to drain the bowls I saw that the carb was dripping green stuff. I touched it and smelled it and sure enough, its gasoline. I definitely need a rebuild on these. New gaskets and the works. I will be replacing every single o-ring and gasket, all of the jets. It was only like, i dunno, 26 bucks so whateva. I also have some intake manifold things coming it. What you put the carb into. The rubber boots. (one of mine is cracked where it would seem doesn't matter) and also I have two new copper/mesh gasket things to put in the exhaust pipes. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Has the bike done a period of sitting up? It sounds like you performed some repairs on it. With the green dripping, it sounds like the carbs are pretty well gunked up with ethanol and old gas. The ethanol can gunk up openings and eat gaskets and rubber pieces in there. so you might be in a situation where you aren't getting flow through the carb. Can try some good fresh gas and seafoam, but that is like a bandaid on an artery if the carbs are needing a deep clean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has the bike done a period of sitting up? It sounds like you performed some repairs on it. With the green dripping, it sounds like the carbs are pretty well gunked up with ethanol and old gas. The ethanol can gunk up openings and eat gaskets and rubber pieces in there. so you might be in a situation where you aren't getting flow through the carb. Can try some good fresh gas and seafoam, but that is like a bandaid on an artery if the carbs are needing a deep clean
Last time I looked in the carbs about a week ago they were clean. When I say green i just mean the regular color of fuel. It was very thin liquid. So maybe a yellow tinge. It looked green with my headlamp on. I deep cleaned the carbs about a month or two ago but when I do the rebuild Im doing a deep clean again, along with rethreading one of the screw holes that hold the bowls on. every time I've completed work I've went and rode it for 10-20 minutes. until something bothers me. I never go far from home because she isn't ready for that yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last time I looked in the carbs about a week ago they were clean. When I say green i just mean the regular color of fuel. It was very thin liquid. So maybe a yellow tinge. It looked green with my headlamp on. I deep cleaned the carbs about a month or two ago but when I do the rebuild Im doing a deep clean again, along with rethreading one of the screw holes that hold the bowls on. every time I've completed work I've went and rode it for 10-20 minutes. until something bothers me. I never go far from home because she isn't ready for that yet.
Is the fuel pump ticking when you turn it on ?
I had the fuel pump die on my bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds like your idle jets are plugged. nothing is freezing over at 50° LOL
I just know the venturi makes things a lot colder and didn't know how low "low temperatures" were.
also, if you didn't know, venturis are used for non freon, old AC and some of those AC's freeze in the summer. Anyways im an idiot and found out the fuel line from the tank was constricted by the actual tank sitting on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts