Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed the heat shield from the pipes and wrapped them up but it gets too hot. did i do something wrong?
can i put heat wrap on top of heat wrap? would that help?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The heat shield is there to keep you from burning yourself because the pipes will get extremely hot. You really have 2 choices, put the shields back on and have cooler pipes.....or ride it like it is and be careful never to touch them.

You can try putting more heat wrap on them to see if it helps....but you've basically have 1500+ degree exhaust gasses running through them. There is no getting around that fact....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Usually the rust will probably get the pipes before the heat will. That tape can trap moisture really well when it gets wet. The more layers, the better it'll hold water.....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That'll help for a little while....and should always be done when using wrap like that. Most guys I know that use that stuff replace the wrap yearly to repaint. Just another added maintenance item to add to your list.

·
Super Moderator
6,373 Posts
Depending upon your budget, you can have your exhaust ceramic coated inside and out and that'll cut down your heat considerably, but it's not cheap. When I wrapped my exhaust on my 950t, I used the high temp silicone spray after they were wrapped, and lined the inside of the heat shields and reinstalled them. It cut down the heat quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts