Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a yellow mottled discoloration on the front cylinder head pipe of my 09 Star 1100 that started around 300 miles. It starts at the flange down to just below the first bend. I took it in for the first service and questioned the dealer as everyone is telling me I have a problem with that cylinder and fuel flow. The dealers mechanic advised this was normal. The owner agreed with me, but also with the mechanic when he said it was normal because of the tight engine and I had gotten it hot during a parade or I had left the choke on to long during a warm up. I told him the discoloration happened before I was in the parade, and when it started giving me problem, I left the parade and rode to cool it down, but the exhaust was discolored prior to this. He gave me a small bottle of "blue away" and said to try it. The salesman commented that he has not seen one blue like this, just at the area of the flange and a couple of inches out but I had mentioned I was going to replace the exhaust anyhow. I looked at a few star 650's that stopped by and they had it just at the flange area of the head pipe. There were no 1100's to compare it with that day. Should I be concerned?, my friends who have all had Harley's say it is a problem with the cylinder running lean or something. Any other 1100 owners have this going on? I do plan on replacing the pipe in within the next 6-8 months with the DG Hardkrome 2-1 Sideburner but I don't want something happening down the road because of this. Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hiya Deuce, i have the same problem on my 1100. Nearly all the 1100's i have seen have had some blueing on the front pipe. I just polish it off after each ride. It's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 1100 bluing problem

Thanks Animal. What are you using to polish it off, I am having little success with blue away. Nice to know this is "normal":)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a metal polish called auto-sol.I use it with a very fine wire wool. I dont know if you have this in the states.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i would agree that cylinder is lean, and that is why other bikes are seeing it blue also

EPA regs make them lean & very HOT

get a fuel management device, and richen it up a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The didcoloration of the pipes is why they (the manufacturer) put the outer cover or heat shield on the exhaust. I was told by several mechanics that it is the copper/nickle discoloring and every time you polish it away the next time it discolors even worse and polishing it away with any "abrasive type" polish will eventually ruin the chrome.
I have no first hand experience with this, this is just what I've been told. The pipes on my Victory are completely covered by the "shield", the wifes 650 is not on the front pipe, but is on the back. You can see the discoloration on the front pipe

·
Registered
11 Posts
we see this all of the time in the shop that I workl in. Its a normal thing for these bikes. one reason is because of the staggered jetting. Richen up the front cylinder abit or get a set of pipes and go for a total rejett.

·
Registered
19 Posts
blue / purple is excessive heat,, yellow is actually the chemical compound in the metal that is getting too hot and escaping the metal.... nothing u can really do,, rain will also cause this, since the pours of the metal is open more, h20 will get into the pours causing this activation even worse...

·
Registered
6 Posts
yellow front pipe

Hi;

I have the exact same yellow discoloration on my 1998 V-Star 650.
no worries for me... bike runs great with 49-53 mpg & 26K miles

johnb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts