Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been discussed but not sure where or if id get my answer here so....if i run some custom straight pipes (no muffler can) on my 950 will i NEED a fuel programmer? or can i run it just fine with the stock ecu? Thanks all

·
Registered
458 Posts
At that point I would imagine you would want to run one at the very minimum as you are going to increase output on the exhaust side tremendously. I'm not versed in the 950 but doesn't it have a catalytic converter on it as well? If so I bit its in the muffler and youll really be playing with fire on a computer controlled vehicle.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea im on a search for an experienced answer. Ive heard thoufhts from both ends and both have valid points but little proof. Ive seen a guy online that ran his with custom straight pipes welded on but cant get in touch to see if using a programmer. Found him on youtube and Hes in Australia lol. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
19 Posts
On a car you wouldn't need a programmer as the computer can adjust. Can't imagine you'd need one. I have no baffle straight pipes on my 1300 and no programmer for thousands of miles. Runs great and great mpg.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thats the same logic i get from a lot of car mechanics and gear heads. Most bikers seem to lean towards programmers and bike mechanics dont seem to know, lol. I think the push to have one is more of a safety net. I think im gonna chop it off, add a lentgh of pioe, heat wrap it, and let her eat. If it runs rough or bad then ill put it back on. Monday its on.....tuesday youll have my update.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yea thats the same logic i get from a lot of car mechanics and gear heads. Most bikers seem to lean towards programmers and bike mechanics dont seem to know, lol. I think the push to have one is more of a safety net. I think im gonna chop it off, add a lentgh of pioe, heat wrap it, and let her eat. If it runs rough or bad then ill put it back on. Monday its on.....tuesday youll have my update.
The smart move would be to have the AFR checked after you did it. Any car repair place can at least give you an idea.

The reason for a programmer is to make sure that you have the optimum performance after doing a change. Test and change accordingly. If you don't really care....then it's not an issue.

As long as the 950's and 1300's have been out, I find it kind of funny that no one has taken the time to do that little bit of research (like a little dyno testing) and share it.

Also keep in mind that getting advice form guys with water cooled bikes may not be the best thing to follow.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not the same bike but The first thing I did was change out my exhaust. I went from the oem 2 into 1 to V&H Big Shots (2 into 2) and after I did I didnt have any backfiring etc. but wanted to be sure I wasnt going to damage the motor running like that so I went to a local place that dyno's bikes and after the tests I was running JUST under the parameters of being too lean. I ran it like that for a season or two on 93 octane fuel until i added a air intake and then I needed a programmer. I had it dynoed last summer at a rally and the tests came back both cylinder well within the parameters and front cylinder was running a bit leaner. The only way to fix that is a custom program...maybe next year,lol.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. No posted results anywhere of anything lol. Now i thought thered be someting to test after changing it. How would a shop check the afr on my bike? Im a bit new to these sorta things. I just know it can be done without spending a ton and still run great....just hoped for proof. Ill do it, check,and post. Stay tuned....going "under the knife" monday.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
How would a shop check the afr on my bike? Im a bit new to these sorta things. I just know it can be done without spending a ton and still run great....just hoped for proof. Ill do it, check,and post. Stay tuned....going "under the knife" monday.
They can check it just like they do cars....with a probe up the pipe. It might cost you about 1/2 hour labor or so...but then you'd know. I'd check it at an idle, then again at cruising RPM.

If you have access to a dyno, that's the very best way to tell what's giong on. AFR is charted on a graph along with HP, torque and RPM. It's really the only way to tell what any fuel related modification has done to the overall system. Without proven printed data, everything you hear is just so much BS. When the V Star 1100's came out, we had them pretty much dialed in after 3-4 years of sharing data (and found a proven way to get a 10% HP increase for under $150). I've yet to see anything on the 950....and that motor has some potential.

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
When the V Star 1100's came out, we had them pretty much dialed in after 3-4 years of sharing data (and found a proven way to get a 10% HP increase for under $150). I've yet to see anything on the 950....and that motor has some potential.

Someone posted dyno info on a 950 on another particular forum a while back that documented a 10hp increase with aftermarket pipes, intake, and controller

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We need this type of info on this forum. I only wish i had access and the funds to be the one to provide it. Im gonna have the afr checked for sure at my auto shop right after the pipes are modded but thats prob not gonna help you all much. Ill at least know where im standing as far as risk/reward. Im thinking she`ll run fine...maybe not optimal but i dont think ill be in any danger or that ill notice any negatives. Ill have a programmer soon but thats when i intend to add the BAK.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i did a lil digging and i found what i was looking for. I may have asked the wrong questions before....i was talking about using my stock pipes and removing the muffler, adding a tip and running straight pipes. THAT does not change the factiry parameters for thr exhaust outlets and therefore doesnt require any remapping or programmer. So, i pulled the trigger. Will be installing the new setup tomorrow.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well its all back together and i took her for a ride.......HOLY SH#T, is it louder! Lol. Its something between a old V8 hot rod and a drag bike. Its....well, badass. Neighbirs prob not happy and i wont have to talk to my wife anynore while shes riding but....i like it way more than the debaffled stock muffler.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts