Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2007 V-Star 1300. I love the look of these pipes, and the sound is excellent. However, it's a bit loud for my taste.
Thinking of going to stock, but don't want to.

Is there any way to quiet these down some?

Have no idea what brand they are - can't find any markings.
1A00BE47-FA0C-4411-B2AC-78BF8AE08330.jpeg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Those look like cobra pipes. You can remove the baffles and replace with quiet baffles but will only reduce it by a few DBs.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
they have quiet baffles, if those are true straight pipes , just measure the I.D. and get universal baffles, most you just drill a single hole in the back to put a screw in.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks. Are we talking just wrapping the baffles, or buying a different set?
Depending on what type they are.
More than likely a new set.
Take a flash light and look down them.
I had to do that for my Harley.
The baffles were pretty much straight through and really crackly sounding.
I bought wrapped baffles and helped quite a bit but can get loud if you get on it!
I will take pics of the loud set I pulled out when I get home.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I have the Cobra long shots with the quiet core baffle's. I am thinking of taking them out and wrapping them with stainless steel mesh. The quiet core's were an improvement over stock baffles but not alot.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
These are what came in the Cobra pipes when I got them. Like said above the quiet core ones have pointed sealed end and a collar around them near the center.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
those are cobra baffles, came with the pipes. They are to tight of a fit to wrap.
they could be wrapped with 316 stainless steel wool. I would not use fiberglass it would burn out in time stainless lasts forever and gives a similar affect .

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I have done it on Harley's It is wired in place. It comes in a roll I could get 2 or 3 wraps on that set

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok... Still trying to figure out why I do the to myself - HA! The 'ol "I'll just check this quick routine". Have ride planned with wife and friends tonight... But.... I'll just pull the baffle quick to see what to order. Struggles to get it out, then REALLY struggled to get it in. Can't get it rotated to get screw in, but it's in there for tonight, and cap is on.

Anyway, here are photos of what I found...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok... Still trying to figure out why I do the to myself - HA! The 'ol "I'll just check this quick routine". Have ride planned with wife and friends tonight... But.... I'll just pull the baffle quick to see what to order. Struggles to get it out, then REALLY struggled to get it in. Can't get it rotated to get screw in, but it's in there for tonight, and cap is on.

Anyway, here are photos of what I found... View attachment 108284 View attachment 108285 View attachment 108286 View attachment 108287 View attachment 108288 View attachment 108289
Any thoughts on what to order, since I don't know the brand?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are an assortment of baffles from Dennis Kirk

Thanks! Still striking out. Can't locate ANY baffle inserts that are 2 3/4". Only thing I can think of is to use a sleeve to take up the space, and use a 2 1/2" baffle.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Call them and see what they say

1 - 20 of 22 Posts