Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, just scored a super clean low mile 650 star. I will try to post some pics, but they are on my phone for the moment.

The front exhaust was put in contact with a bike cover, and then homie never bothered to try and get it off. Who know how long its been cooking on that pipe, but I took a stainless steel pad to it and removed 0% of it. I am going to try and scrape it with a razor blade unless anyone else has a better suggestion? I know the razor can and probably will scratch it..... It has already discolored the chrome so not that huge a loss. Or plan b, anyone have a stock front pipe I can put my hands on?

Lastly, any good inexpensive aftermarket pipes for the bike? I dont dislike aftermarket stuff, but don't love it either, in this case, if it would cure the defect, I would consider that too.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
346 Posts
Try running the bike and warming the pipe before you try to remove the melted residue.. Worked on my ex's 650 when she had a bag melt to her pipes when we were out on a ride.. wouldn't come off cold but once it was warmed up again ..

Good luck .

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nice score! As Mrdub mentioned, get the exhaust hot and then I would try scraping it off with a piece of hardwood fashioned into a scraper, form the edge across the grain of the wood. I tend to use wood first and foremost as scrapers on anything I don't want to mar the surface with and then resort to metal scraper blades as a last resort.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Keep us posted on how it works out. I was wiping mine down one day and let the microfiber cloth hit my pipe. Looks like crap and have yet to figure out how to clean it off. Hadn't thought of using a piece of wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts