Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my bike punched out the exhaust but yesterday the center piece inside came out of the lower pipe.
The bike still seems to run fine, the air coming from each pipe is almost the same.
Is this something I should be concerned about such as engine damage ?
I attached picture of the top pipe, the bottom and what came out.
Thank you for the help.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
The bike still seems to run fine, the air coming from each pipe is almost the same.
It may seem like that at idle, but when at higher rpms there will be a slight difference.

Not really going to hurt anything but I believe it would be optimal to knock out the baffles in the other pipe, so both cylinders have the same exhaust restrictions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking as well, well It sounds like I won't have to replace the exhaust which makes me feel better.
I've been 200+ miles today so far and no issues but I'll get the other baffle when I get back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Curious? Would not knocking the baffles out of both pipes make the exhaust extremely loud? Not sure how it sounds now or before. But removing the two baffles would seem to increase the sound and also would it not increase the exterior temperature of the muffler? Just curious and still learning.. Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious? Would not knocking the baffles out of both pipes make the exhaust extremely loud? Not sure how it sounds now or before. But removing the two baffles would seem to increase the sound and also would it not increase the exterior temperature of the muffler? Just curious and still learning.. Thanks!

Bill
It did make it louder but not a big change from the baffles already being punched around the outside.
I don't know about the heat either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I pulled both those baffles out after a few months, it's still quiet at idle but slightly louder on acceleration. What I don't get is how the baffle knocking around inside the pipe didn't drive you up the wall? Also I had to use a long screwdriver and hammer to break down the back wall enough to get the flange out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled both those baffles out after a few months, it's still quiet at idle but slightly louder on acceleration. What I don't get is how the baffle knocking around inside the pipe didn't drive you up the wall? Also I had to use a long screwdriver and hammer to break down the back wall enough to get the flange out.
It was still connected in the back so it never knocked around until it broke, then it was obvious.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
remove the other pipe, bang a broom stick or something similar into it and rock it around to break the weld then chop around the hole with a long screwdriver so the weld can pass through the hole
I didn't think about a broom handle, good idea

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It may seem like that at idle, but when at higher rpms there will be a slight difference.

Not really going to hurt anything but I believe it would be optimal to knock out the baffles in the other pipe, so both cylinders have the same exhaust restrictions.
i had my buddy at a machine shop run a cutter into the pipe until about 1/4 of inch was sticking out of that second baffle, then i painted the inside with black header paint, looks better than a chopped out hole imop, i also used a cut off wheel to clean up ragged edges on the final baffle cut, but that's just me being fussy and liking a clean look

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I removed the other baffle tonight.
It took a little to get it out but it finally came out.
The bike has a deeper sound now and definitely louder when you get on it.
All seems to be working well, haven't noticed any issues.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I removed the other baffle tonight.
It took a little to get it out but it finally came out.
The bike has a deeper sound now and definitely louder when you get on it.
All seems to be working well, haven't noticed any issues.
mine lost some bottom end torque that was only noticeable at wot opening the pms screws and installing a 100 mikuni main jet fixed that

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine lost some bottom end torque that was only noticeable at wot opening the pms screws and installing a 100 mikuni main jet fixed that
That may be what I'm noticing tonight,
I'm still learning about working on them but I'll look that part up and see what it takes to install.
Thanks as always for the info.
You always have a solutions for the problems I throw out there. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts