Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have an 09 Roadliner and love my new bike. I have a BAK on order and am not sure if I should change out the exhaust. I have a few questions:

1. I was looking at the Hard Krome exhaust system. Would I have to remove emissions items? Would I fail emission when I put the new pipes on? What happens to the O2 sensor?

2. Will I lose performance because of less back pressure? I was actually looking at the 2.5" pipes and they are doubled wall so the smaller pipes may help...

3. I guess the new pipes don't have heat shields so are the pipes noticeably hotter?

4. Would I lose any torque? I know a slip on probably would be the best choice but I really like the look of dual exhausts and want to get rid of the stock fart can.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
1. not if you don't live in CA. if the hard krome you're looking at has an O2 sensor plug into it, then you're just replacing an apple with an apple and it will plug into your ECU just like your stock pipes. if it doesn't, it's not a big deal. your ECU just wouldn't be as accurate in its fuel mixture w/o O2 readings

2. you will probably lose some low-end torque if this hard krome set doesn't come with baffles, but you can add baffles or exhaust torque tubes if you are bothered by the change in the performance curve. at 2.5", you won't lose that much though. the new exhaust should give you more overall horsepower and more mid-range and high-end torque. HK makes a 3" set as well.

3. yeah they will be hotter. you can buy universal or part specific heat shields to guard your legs if you need to

4. see #2

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thannks for the info. I also did some leg work today. You're correct about the exhaust having a 02 bung. I was also told that the exhaust is a pipe inside a pipe so essentially the whole exhaust is shielded. The exhaust I was looking at has baffles but they are built in and can't be changed out and they are known for being very loud. I was looking at Hard Krome Classic Straights in a 2.5" pipe. I'm thinking I may be better off with a Cobra exhaust. I really don't want an exhaust that is too loud but want the look of the double pipe. All the reviews on Cobra are that they are louder than stock but not too loud. Everyone who reviewed the Hard Krome commented that tehy are a very loud pipe.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We do not have emission testing in CA for motorcycles... Yet. Hope it doesn't happen because I changed out my stock pipes for the Yamaha Speedstar pipes. I really like their sound, and don't find them to be too loud. That all depends on your opinion, though. The pipes have a spot to put the o2 sensor back in.
If what I have read is true, adding pipes and a BAK necessitates a fuel programmer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to keep my stock exhaust for now and just and the BAK which is on its way. I bought it from leatherup for 173.00 with a holiday coupon. Anyway, the plan is to add the BAK and try the factory ECU reset and see what happens. I really want to get a custom paint job so I need funds for that and will get the pipes later. Honestly, I like the look of the double pipe but they are still pretty boring compared to say the exhaust that comes stock with the Raider. I guess to keep the passenger pegs where they are the type of pipes being made are limited.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've never done it but I read that you remove both leads from the battery for 15 minutes and when you put the cables back on the computer resets and will re-learn the correct fuel settings for your bike. If the bike runs lean to begin with it should be better but still on the lean side.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a BAK and the stock exhaust I may not need a fuel processor. I'll see how it runs and then go from there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I already changed out the battery on my bike, and it gets just as terrible mileage as before. Coming home from los angeles couple nights ago, doing 85mph on the freeway, no traffic, I only got 25.5mpg. My corolla gets about 32/33mpg at that speed. The absolutely highest mpg I have gotten on this bike is still under 40mpg.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well I already changed out the battery on my bike, and it gets just as terrible mileage as before. Coming home from los angeles couple nights ago, doing 85mph on the freeway, no traffic, I only got 25.5mpg. My corolla gets about 32/33mpg at that speed. The absolutely highest mpg I have gotten on this bike is still under 40mpg.
I'm not quite sure how to put this, but you did look at the engine before you bought the bike, right? Anything north of 1800 cc's isn't going to return great fuel mileage.

If you're looking for 50+ miles per gallon, buy a smaller bike. I'm not trying to be a dick but its the truth.

And for what it's worth, I see around 40mpg pretty consistently unless I'm really romping on it, then I drop into the mid 30's.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't think you're being a dick, and I expected lower mpg than my honda shadow 1100 obviously, but I keep seeing people talking about getting over 50mpg on these, and routinely getting 40mpg, and my BEST cruising at 65mph freeway, right about 2500rpm, still didn't even touch 40mpg. I mean shoot, I get 22mpg @ 80mph in my pickup! I just wonder if there is some issue with mine since nobody else seems to get such low mileage out of theirs. What's about your average? My light usually comes on around 100 miles, no matter if I'm doing mostly in-town or freeway. Last fill up took about 3.7 gallons right after the light came on and I had only gone about 95 miles...

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I've only estimated my gas milage just to keep a mental note of when I'll need to fill up again, but only as a back-up to the fuel gage. I haven't gotten all wigged out over what my exact MPG is as I didn't get a big V-Twin for the fuel economy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I didn't either, I'm just concerned there might be something causing it since mine is so much lower than other people with the same bike. It's not like I'm going bankrupt because of 25mpg, but if other people are getting 40 it makes me think there is something wrong with my bike. Either that's the case, or people don't do the math for their mileage correctly, and just pull a number out of their ass. I mean, that's a possibility...

Again, I'm not complaining about the mileage, I'm concerned that it means something is wrong with my bike since everyone else claims such better mileage. If everyone said they were getting about 20, and I was getting about 20, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. I didn't buy a big bike for excellent mpg. I just want to make sure it's running right. I guess I'll probably have to wait till the 1st valve service, replace the plugs and air filter, get the TB's synced, and see if it gets any better.

Stratowart: What is the approximate mileage you fill up, out of curiosity? Furthest I've stretched a tank was just under 120 miles, took something like 4.6 gallons.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Pretty much the same for me. On a regular basis I have one leg that takes me exactly 117 miles, I'll get to that point before my fuel light comes on and it'll take just about 4 gallons. That is all highway and my comfort zone speed is right around 80mph. So pushing along like that I'm getting right around 30mpg. Easy crusing around the country side and commuting back and forth to work, I'll get close to 140 miles and start planning a gas stop, again always seem to get gas before the low fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Huh, mine is significantly lower than that. My normal fillup nets me below 30mpg. Most of my riding is freeway, about 15 miles each way to school and back, but I do longer rides, too. I did a 1200 mile round trip last month to northern california and back, averaging less than 30mpg the whole distance. I've never had a tank last 140 miles, and I've done solid cruising at 65mph.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would agree that we should see better MPG's but I'm not complaning. This bike has more torque and horsepower than my wife's Civic hybrid but not by much. She is getting 42mpg and the car is way heavier. But then again she can't do 0 to 60 in around 4 seconds.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
At 65 to 80 mph, I'll never see 140 miles between fuel stops either. The only way I'll get to the 140 mile distance is commuting, probably because I'll be in 5th gear during speeds that should have me in 3rd or 4th, but that is due to the kind of torque we have, it's not like I'm bogging down this bike at all.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Huh, mine is significantly lower than that. My normal fillup nets me below 30mpg. Most of my riding is freeway, about 15 miles each way to school and back, but I do longer rides, too. I did a 1200 mile round trip last month to northern california and back, averaging less than 30mpg the whole distance. I've never had a tank last 140 miles, and I've done solid cruising at 65mph.
How do your spark plugs look? Are you running too rich a mixture?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I would agree that we should see better MPG's but I'm not complaning. This bike has more torque and horsepower than my wife's Civic hybrid but not by much. She is getting 42mpg and the car is way heavier. But then again she can't do 0 to 60 in around 4 seconds.
Too funny, very believable but still funny none the less.

I think you'd have to give the civic a 5 minute handicap for a 1/4 mile drag race. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts