Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have just purchased my 1900 Midnight Star (I live in England). I love the bike and I would like to upgrade the exhaust (and possibly the air intake to reduce lean running). Which pipes suit my bike and do I have to buy the fuel remap / K&N filter?. I have looked at the Cobra's but I could not hear them running and somebody has recommended Jardine slip ons that do not require any remapping - any thoughts greatfully recieved

·
Registered
422 Posts
Roadhouse makes a nice looking exhaust that does not require remapping. I have the roadhouse 2 into 1 classic($500) with serrated heat shields and I love the look and sound. They also make a slip-on($325) that sounds really nice and retains the exup valve. It depends on whether or not you want performance or just looks and sound. Personally I think the liners make enough power so I went for looks and sound. My bike has not been remapped and it runs perfect(no backfiring).

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Air box

Billet,

I agree that the Liner has plenty of power. For exhaust there are several slip-on's that work well Road house and D&D being two. Yamaha has Long Drag pipes that loose the Ex Up Valve. So some low end torque is lost but some top end HP is gained. They all sound good.

If you are interested in an Air Box mod look at the post by Brain back a page on this Blog. Several company's make kits that replace the air box two cone air filters. Like big Air kit and Max air kit. Patrick Raceing air kit. These kits work well but, increase intake noise a lot.

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replies - sorry for late response but I have been off email for a week. I am thinking of trying the Cobra full system but I will try and listen to the Roadhouse first. I will post the pictures etc when finished
Safe rides - Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yamah Long drags.

Billet,

I agree that the Liner has plenty of power. For exhaust there are several slip-on's that work well Road house and D&D being two. Yamaha has Long Drag pipes that loose the Ex Up Valve. So some low end torque is lost but some top end HP is gained. They all sound good.

If you are interested in an Air Box mod look at the post by Brain back a page on this Blog. Several company's make kits that replace the air box two cone air filters. Like big Air kit and Max air kit. Patrick Raceing air kit. These kits work well but, increase intake noise a lot.

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324

Dave
I have the Yamaha Long Drags and question why you think I would loose some low end torque. Yamaha Speedstar exhaust and Power Commander. I had the Power Commander custom mapped last summer and when they were done I ended up with 86.9hp and 116lbs of torque at the wheel. Both numbers are better than stock.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ex-up valve

Hilleyja,

There are lots of ways to go with exhaust. I'm sure they all have their own strong points. I have seen exhaust manufactures claiming horsepower increases, air flow kits claiming horsepower increases, and fuel controllers claiming increases. Usually if a person goes with all three they wind up with the number claimed by each one.

One of the main reasons Yamaha talks about for the Ex Up valve is improved low end torque. I check in often on the Delphi Liner Forum. seems to be a bunch of folks there that know what they are talking about. I have seen numerous posts there indicating loosing the Ex up Valve results some loss of low end torque. Of course that does not mean you don't make up for it with increased horsepower up the band. Might depend if you want to be able to lug down at low RPM or feel the pull at the high end. I guess it might also be you won't be able to tell the difference.

As to the stock horsepower, There is a Dyno chart on D&D muffler site, an article by cruiser magazine, and a Dyno chart on Pacific Coast Star's site. All indicating stock HP at the wheel is around 86 and after some changes 91 to 95.

Here is a link to pacific Coast Star.

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/yamaha_dynos.htm

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Roadhouse makes a nice looking exhaust that does not require remapping. I have the roadhouse 2 into 1 classic($500) with serrated heat shields and I love the look and sound. They also make a slip-on($325) that sounds really nice and retains the exup valve. It depends on whether or not you want performance or just looks and sound. Personally I think the liners make enough power so I went for looks and sound. My bike has not been remapped and it runs perfect(no backfiring).
This is the exhaust I want. Can you post a pict of your bike?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.