Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 1100. While I have it apart fixing some oil leaks I removed the AIS and am doing this intake mod. I'll be re-jetting too.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100/messages?msg=21159.37

I also want to open up the exhaust. Here's the kicker though.....I detest loud exhaust. I don't like it on my bike and I don't like to hear it on other bikes. That's just me. I would like a performance exhaust that is as quiet as the stock one, but I don't think that is possible. I know I will have to compromise.

Any ideas on an exhaust that will provide good performance over stock but won't wake up the neighbors when I leave the house at 5:30 in the morning to go to work? I'm looking at the Cobra 2 into 1 with a baffle, but I don't know if it will be too loud or not.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas! :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i did the Rymay pod mod,i believe he did it in the first is the sound of the intakes was bouncing off the windshield,so no windhield no sucking noise,then if your going for louder exhaust you wont hear your intake,i eventially took the bottom half of the intake off cause when i put the gastank on the bottom always hit the rear filter and it unsettled me.the 1150 filters fit better under the tank than the ru 0.600 anyways ,oh the ru 0.600 filters are less money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey Dan, I'm still trying to figure what the hell nick is talking about!! If you find an answer to your problem-let me know. I did a lot of upgrades, and I'm happy with all, except...the volume. While I lived in Vegas, I wanted to be noticed. And, if you've ever ridden in that area, you'd know why. Now, I'm back in Washington state and my changes, although the bike runs beautifully, are obnoxious and loud. Love the extra power, crave the quiet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce, I'll keep looking and I'll let you know what I find. I was on Vegas just once. I'll neither confirm nor deny what happened there.

Nick, back away from the eggnog, dude!

Bevo, I know I'll be going louder, I would just like to know how much louder they'll be before I lay out any cash, you know what I mean. Youtube is better than nothing, but a db meter would be better yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may just do my lighting mods and put the bike back together this weekend and keep looking for a exhaust solution. If I find one by the time the March-April rains start I will do the intake, jetting, and exhaust then.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nick57, think it's worth spending a few bucks to change the baffles in my slash-cuts to quiet cores?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i did the Rymay pod mod,i believe he did it in the first is the sound of the intakes was bouncing off the windshield,so no windhield no sucking noise,then if your going for louder exhaust you wont hear your intake,i eventially took the bottom half of the intake off cause when i put the gastank on the bottom always hit the rear filter and it unsettled me.the 1150 filters fit better under the tank than the ru 0.600 anyways ,oh the ru 0.600 filters are less money.
I'm still using the Rymal set up.

I never had a clearance issue with the filters once I swapped the front and rear air box boots. I like being able to remove it as a unit and I also have my vent plumbed into the stock air box fitting so excess oil can easily drain back into the engine.

For me, it just made for a nice simple, clean install, and I'm using a converted 5 hour energy bottle (free) as my vent filter so I didn't need to buy an aftermarket one. That pretty much covered the difference in the filter price.......also the RC-1150 filter has a nice chrome top...:)

If you really need quiet.....just keep the stock exhaust. They are quiet mostly because of all the restrictions and small pipe diameter. You won't find anything even close to that quiet in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Dan, I have the V+H classic 2 on my bike and find them to be just right for me. A friend has the Cobra longshots on his 1100 and I find them ok also. Both systems passed the sound level test we have here in Quebec which is 100 Db measured at 18 inches away from the exhaust at a 45º angle, engine rpm at 2500 for a two cylinder engine. Hope this helps a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts