Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does the time go? My 2009 1100 classic is coming up a year old and with it the end of my warranty. As usual, Yamaha has offered an extended warranty for a mere arm and leg. I usually shy away from these but thought I'd throw it out to fellow Star riders. I do my own maintenance and I'm pretty strict with the time frames and quality of products. Anyone have or know of any issues that could get costly?
Ride Safe
Mark

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Just my thoughts only: I do as you, take care of my own stuff and am careful about it, ride sane. I feel the extended (in my case) is a total waste of money, good for Yamaha, not my billfold! Yes, if something did come up, sacrifice your first born to pay up! I do not buy extended warr. on anything, others do. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with sugar bear, your just throwing money away. If you want to throw money away just throw $1500 at me and when your bike needs to be fixed I will ride mine right to your house and fix it.(wearable items such as brakes, tires, and oil changes are not covered under said warranty):D

·
Registered
821 Posts
I bought the extended warranty on my 2010 950.
For only $600 I got an extra 4 years of coverage.
Seems like a no brainer to me, and glad I did.
I also bought the extended warranty on my 2005
Ford F-150 pick-up and so glad I did. The rear main seal
blew out last week and guess what? It's covered under the warranty! Whitch by the way runs out in August.
So very glad I did. To each his own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm gonna get one for my 09 strat which I just got in April. Look on Ebay they are a lot cheaper ther and are YES warranties. Average price is under 400. If anything major happens to your bike ie: oil leak
bearing going or things of that nature it would be coverred under the warranty This not only covers the bike but if your on a trip and this happens it also helps for lodging food and a rental bike if needed. My opinion is the money is worth spending just or piece of mind Hourly rates can break the bank as well as repalcement parts. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Warrenty

Most of the things we do are maintenance not repairs. Odds are you will never use an extended warrenty.

I bought my 06 Liner during the factory introduction sale. The extended warrenty was included. I have never used it.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just my .02 cents.... I have worked in the auto field for quite some time and I beleive in the extended warranty. I bought one with my '09 950T. They are a waste of money, right up until you need it. Just how much $12 oil seal cost to repair out of warranty? Or a starter? or a transmission? They are a total rip off if you never use it. But if you need it and don't have it, you will wish that you had one. I have had many, on many different items, and rarely have I need them. But I was thankful that I did have them. If for nothing more than peace of mind, I will have one, and hope that I never need to use it. Money well spent? Only you can decide.
Good Luck, and Ride Safe!!

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
If for nothing more than peace of mind, I will have one, and hope that I never need to use it.
piece of mind is really the main selling point and reason for getting the warranty. if manufacturers/dealers didn't make money on them then they wouldn't sell them (push them down your throat). it's really a bet that you're making that your bike will or will not need some kind of major repair (only if it's a manufacturer defect) early on in its life.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I just traded my 1500 Wing for an '07 Stratoliner S. (Honda dealership) The dealership purchased the Strat from another dealer (not Yamaha) and were unaware that it had an extended warranty.

When I took it to a Yamaha dealer to troubleshoot an intermittent speedometer/fuel gauge, the final verdict was to replace the instrument module: $800 + labor. Extended warranty covered it all. Additionally it covered a jammed left saddlebag lock ($96 + labor) and a missing selector switch (trip meters/odometer/clock selector) on the left handlebar ($350 + labor).

I've only purchased extended warranties twice on vehicles; one paid for itself, the other didn't. In this case the P.O. saved me $1250 in parts plus labor. I'm grateful to whomever that was...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never purchased an extended warranty, I do all my own repairs, major or minor. I am getting older and it is a lot harder to do the bending. I don't know any dealer that I would trust to work on my truck, car or motorcycle. A friend of mine took his Ford diesel dually to the dealer. He was told that it needed a clutch and the brake power booster. I drove it and told him Ford was wrong, he was determined to sell the truck so I bought it and it cost me $8.00 to fix the clutch and nothing to fix the brakes. Dealers will lie, and the mechanics today are a joke.

·
Registered
100 Posts
if there is no claim durring your warranty , when it's up they will refund your money. and when you do have something come up durring you warranty you can pay out of pocket. say the starter went bad one month before the warranty was up pay the 260 dollars and get the 900 back at the end of the month. it worked for a friend but i don't have that kind of luck. i did buy hopeing the same might happen to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts