Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a test for the exup vlave? I have an issue with my 09 that the exup rattles when at idle and coming off idle. I am not sure if it is rattling at higher RPM's because the exhaust drowns it out. I am concerned that it is not working at all this is my second 09 the first one had considerable more torque on the low and middle RPM range than this one does. I've tried reving it up in nuetral watching the watching to see if the cable and pully move and it does not but I thought maybe it had to be in gear, under a load or warmed up first.
Any Ideas on how to test it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I checked it turning the key on and it does rotate and center so I guess it is working, wonder why it is rattling so bad.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Long shot

Kind of a long shot but, if you are stock disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. I understand the ECU will relearn some of it's data.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cables seem to be fairly tight I think there is suppose to be some small slack I read it should be about 1/8 inch deflection, I'll try the battery disconnect see if that helps

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
3mm movement

In the cable reinstall it talks about adjusting cable tension and position. Don't think there should be any play. They talk about being able to move them 3mm side play.

Dave

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cable tension

In the cable reinstall it talks about adjusting cable tension and position. Don't think there should be any play. They talk about being able to move them 3mm side play.

Dave
I looked at mine and the cables were fairly tight. definitely held the valve in place with no slack. i could not wiggle or rotate the EXUP valve at all. if you have slack that may be why you get a rattle as the valve can jiggle around. i actually unhooked mine before i went to Sturgis this year. i made a little wire linkage rod to hold the valve open and keep it in place and just let the cables hang free i measured the cable's adjusted length before i removed them with a digital caliper. you can get one at harbor freight for 15 bucks. i use it all the time. makes things like this easier to revert back to stock location. works great when you get your rear tire changed. you can measure the adjusters to make sure you tire is straight. on the EXUP valve. the only thing i noticed after keeping this exup open was a surge of power at 2500 rpm. it was no longer a smooth transition from 2000 to 3000. i'm not saying there is more power, just a noticeable surge at 2500 rpm. now that i'm used to it i have found i can do nice power slides when going around a sharp corner at slow speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts