Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found with other bikes that it is "not prudent" to leave your EZ Pass where people can see it. On my last bike, an F6B Goldwing, I secured it under the plastic around the windshield and it work great. Any suggestions on the SVTC?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is velcroed to the top of the dash. When I'm away from the bike, I pull it off and store it in one of the dash cubby's. I tried leaving it in the cubby full time, but it doesn't always read from in there.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I put mine just above the headlight on the inside of my windshield
on my 650 (see garage photo) I also have the velcro on the inside of the front of the trunk, at the top. It works from inside the trunk just fine. I lean forward to make sure my back is not right up against it as I ride thru the toll booth.

If Im going to be riding some place where they have the EZpass readers at random places along the highway, like Massachusetts or Washington DC, I put it back on the windshield.

I dont know why anyone would take one. As soon as you notice its missing report it stolen, and when they ride thru a tool booth they will get pulled over.

Ive gone thru toll booths with it in the breast pocket on my riding jacket too... no problem.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put mine just above the headlight on the inside of my windshield
on my 650 (see garage photo) I also have the velcro on the inside of the front of the trunk, at the top. It works from inside the trunk just fine. I lean forward to make sure my back is not right up against it as I ride thru the toll booth.

If Im going to be riding some place where they have the EZpass readers at random places along the highway, like Massachusetts or Washington DC, I put it back on the windshield.

I dont know why anyone would take one. As soon as you notice its missing report it stolen, and when they ride thru a tool booth they will get pulled over.

Ive gone thru toll booths with it in the breast pocket on my riding jacket too... no problem.
Thanks for your comments. Theft is a problem around here. There is only one Turnpike and that runs thru southern Maine. It could be a month before I need EZ pass. Unless I notice the theft right away, a thief could have all that time to use the EZ pass. If I can find a permanent place to mount it (like under the plastic) , then it could be out mind/no worry.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
If your saddle bags lock then maybe inside one of the lids. Put mine all the way on the front edge of the trunk lid, just so it would not be in the way. If you want to keep it in the trunk all the time, maybe the back edge of the lid would be better, so your body is not blocking it.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
I keep my eztag in the saddle bag. That's actually where the eztag people suggested. In Houston most toll roads has cameras that take a picture of your plate and charges you that way. For months I would check for accuracy and it seemed correct, so now I just go with the flow.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
In Massachusetts they took all the tollbooths off interstate 90, from Stockbridge to Boston, and put up ezpass senors along the highway with cameras.

If you have an ezpass they charge you everytime you drive by. If you dont have an ezpass they take a photo of your license plates, and charge you twice as much, and send you a bill in the mail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw Paul Pelland at the Chicago IMS last month. I talked with him about Ipass/EZpass on where he mounted it. Paul said he removed the top of the fairing just below the windshield and mounted it on the underside of it and has no problems with it getting scanned. I'm going to do it soon to mine.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactrly where I mounted it on my F6B Goldwing. That is probably where I will mount this one eventhough it is a PITA to get the front ccover off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Crossbowme: I remove my top part of my fairing yesterday. Remove the 4 screws that hold the aluminum trim and the on the right and left upper tips. Take a plastic prybar or a thin piece of wood like a shim and move from the outside to the center along the front edge prying upward till it pops. See pic below to see where i mounted mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crossbowme: I remove my top part of my fairing yesterday. Remove the 4 screws that hold the aluminum trim and the on the right and left upper tips. Take a plastic prybar or a thin piece of wood like a shim and move from the outside to the center along the front edge prying upward till it pops. See pic below to see where i mounted mine.
Thanks. That's where I'll mount mine.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Keep in mind, you might want to put your EZpass on another MC from time to time, taking another bike for a test ride, getting a loaner bike while yours is being worked on... Dont bury your EZpass too deep inside the bike...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts