Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to find out if there is a product that will clean face shields without scratching, so figuring from the horse's mouth was the best source, Per the manufacturers site, they suggest water only, followed by a wax to help keep it clean, and supposedly beads water in the rain, but falls short of any specific recommendations. Does anyone here do this, and if so, what product do you use?

From Arai site:
"Once cleaned, protecting the shield surfaces with an all natural carnauba wax will not only help bead rain water but reduce the amount of dirt build up as well."

https://www.araiamericas.com/product-information/care-cleaning

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mild soap and water if it really needs cleaned then rain x for plastic. For a quick wipe down i use the soft cloth that came with my glasses.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Normally just water and a very soft rag, don't use circles to clean it.
On the go, I take a bag of the most plain baby wipes I can get and use them if it gets bad.

Using a turtlewax spray bottle stuff that is safe for plastics for my rain protection, and a small spray bottle for antifog at the moment. Need to switch out to a pinlock helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMSGU9Y

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
More important than what you use is how you use it

Soak a paper towel with dish soapy water, windex... and get the bugs and dirt wet - and let it soak in for a minute

then gently wipe it off with no pressure.

If you can pop the shield off and put it under running warm water for a minute, all the better.

Its amazing how dry bugs can scratch plastic.

BTW, same deal for cleaning a MC windshield.

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
Warm water on towel, let soak, wipe softly, then wax. Main thing is be gentle. And yes, same process on windshield.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Every morning before I leave for work I spray some simple green and wipe with a rag. At work I have one of those water dispensers that puts out super hot water, I soak a paper towel in some hot water and give a quick wipe and then dry with another paper towel.

No scratches.

I find the inner coating of tint on the visor cracks from age before I ever get scratches from cleaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts