Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 09 Roadliner but when I'm stopped at a traffic light on a warm day or stuck in traffic my legs bake. My brother has a HD and some of these guys are adding fans to their bikes so I thought I would give it a try. I bought an 8" fan that fits nicely under the front of the frame. It throws out some serious CMF's and I can feel a breeze on each side of the bike. I'll have to wait for warmer tems before I try it out and know for sure if it makes a difference. From my testing so far I think it works as expected. Has anyone tried this. If anyone is interested I'll post pics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It looks and sounds like a good idea, how do you control the on/off? Also how is your fender clearance, the front suspension travels more than most people think. please keep us posted during the hot season.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It looks and sounds like a good idea, how do you control the on/off? Also how is your fender clearance, the front suspension travels more than most people think. please keep us posted during the hot season.
Hi,

I ran a a wire (computer cord) from the fan and into the housing for the headlamp. There are pre-existing holes for a light bar kit. Inside the housing there is a white connector that is made for the light kit. If you search the liner wiki under light bar there are some great pics of what it looks like in there and the white connector is proudly displayed. I wired my fan into that circuit. The fan is a push pull. It comes configure to blow air in the opposite direction I have it mounted so I reversed the blades and ran it in pull mode which now allows the fan to push air in the direction I want. There is a switch on the handlebars to control the light bar which now controls the fan. I was thinking of wiring it to the battery and then installing a thermostat but decided to keep it simple for now until I see how it works. I need an 80 degree day to really test it out. I bought the fan on Ebay for 25.00 and this little unit seems stout. One caveat is that the circuit shows an output of 40v while the fan is 12v. I ran it for several minutes and the motor didn't get hot so we'll see. Oh yeah ...My fender is off but it looks to have plenty of room. I don't think the fork travel will be an issue either. The fan is about 2" thick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You had me thinking about clearance. The fan is 2.5" thick. Right now my tins are out for paint. It would be terrible to put the new tin on and have it scuffed by the fan housing. I hope I the clearance - the fan works very well. I installed an autotune tonight and also played with standing on the sides of the bike and turning the fan on and off. It was throwing some air around, for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of the reasons I mentioned clearance is because i have a cycle sounds mini amp mounted just under my crash bar top center bolt, it is very small but I noticed a slight crease in my fender. I was going crazy trying to figure out how it got there, one big bump sometime last summer. I'm not sure how much travel the front forks have but it was so far apart i would have lost a bet on this one, no way you could have told me it could have made contact. It did, easy fix with my paint-less dent guy.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Very nice set up.Lets hope your fender clears.I think I've only needed a fan one time on my strat.I got stuck in traffic going through Portland,Oregon one hot summer.I know what you mean about your legs cooking.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy who is painting my fender said it was too late to cut it down. I wish I would have bought an aftermarket front fender that hugs the tire. It would have probably solved the problem. I may put a piece of foam over the center of the fan where it most likely will hit and hope for the best.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it really needed?

The guy who is painting my fender said it was too late to cut it down. I wish I would have bought an aftermarket front fender that hugs the tire. It would have probably solved the problem. I may put a piece of foam over the center of the fan where it most likely will hit and hope for the best.
I'm just a bit curious. if 90% of your riding you don't need the fan then why put it on? sounds like you are going to risk your new paint for a fan that will seldom be needed. i have riden on hot days with shorts on and thought i was going to see skin start to fall off but if i wear jeans then no problem. do you have that many hot days that you really need this? like bevo mentioned earlier, wont this blow hot air on you? i sure hope you tried this out. when my bike was burning my legs it was because the wind was blowing hot air from the engine on to my leg. won't you be doing the same thing? i am curious on how this works out. one more concern is the fact you are now blocking air that would normally blow through the motor when at speed. you may get less air to cool the motor when it is working it's hardest.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say that it more that 90% stopping at lights and feeling the heat. It is a good deal of my driving when the temps are about 75. Anyway, the air is not moving over the engine when I'm stopped and the heat radiates. The fan should keep the air moving and help to cool down the engine and my legs. I'm going to mount the finder and then see how much travel I have. It's the back of the fender so if it got a little dinged up it wouldn't be easily seen anyway. Go to some of the HD forums - these guys are doing this sort of thing with good success. When at speed and with the fan moving it will keep the engine extra cool.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Now this would be very "cool" (pun intended) if you could measure oil temp with and without the fan mounted. And comprare on days of similar temperature and traffic conditions. I'll admit that while moving along at a normal speed I doubt the fan will add much CFM to make a difference. Stuck in traffic is where it will help out for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts