Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite motorcycle memory?

Yesterday I was going through some old photos. Today I went to a local motorcycle show. So it got me to thinking about a new riding season and new memories to be made.

I want to hear from all of you about your favorite motorcycle memory! I'm sure that we all have had several awesome motorcycle moments. Maybe it was the feeling you had when you first learn to ride. Maybe it was a long ride with a long time friend. Maybe you shared your love of motorcycles with a family member. Just pick one memory and describe it all in detail. I want to hear it!!!

One of my favorite memories, thus far, was camping at Laconia Bike Week in New Hampshire with my brother. I kidnapped him for his birthday and booked a campsite. We get along pretty well. It was so chill, just the two of us, and we had such a great time. It was so cool to bond with my little bro over the loud roar of choppers, and what-nots, rollin' down that strip. We saw fireworks over the water. The weather was beautiful, and he said it was one of the best birthdays he ever had.

So that's one of my best motorcycle memories thus far. But tell me yours. Tell me an awesome memory. And let's all get psyched for another riding season!!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
The one Im riding when you ask me :^)

I loved my Yamaha IT175 enduro bike. Happened to flip channels across METV last night and Wonder Woman was riding my old blue 1978 IT175. I had a blast with that thing..... but I dont want another one. Like my cruiser now.

I have heard that all the cells in our body are completely replaced roughly every seven years. So every 7 years we are literally new people, and the last body that we had is dead and gone and passed out as waste one cell at time. (kinda makes funerals seem a little odd, that the last body we own gets buried, the rest go down the toilet...)

But the point is, everything is in a continuous state of change, including us.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha. KCW, I've not heard that about cells of the body. Interesting. - Just Googled that bike. Kinda like a dirtbike or dual sport? Looks fun!

Pauli, any particular memory/sensation stick out? Or just the freedom aspect?

(I'll confess I love the freedom of being single.)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Yamaha called the IT the international trials bike, but it was not a "trials" bike if you know what that is.

It is a dirt bike designed more for riding through the woods or the desert, more than riding around in circles on a dirt track.

It had a head light and tail light, but no turn signals or brake light or horn, so it was not street legal.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hahaha. KCW, I've not heard that about cells of the body. Interesting. - Just Googled that bike. Kinda like a dirtbike or dual sport? Looks fun!

Pauli, any particular memory/sensation stick out? Or just the freedom aspect?

(I'll confess I love the freedom of being single.)

once i rode to top of a mountain with a girl who later became my wife, we spent most of day up there it was so perfect, it was the day i asked and she said yes, we've been separated 20 years but still really good friends, she's happy with someone now and me i'm still looking but in no real hurry

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
once i rode to top of a mountain with a girl who later became my wife, we spent most of day up there it was so perfect, it was the day i asked and she said yes, we've been separated 20 years but still really good friends, she's happy with someone now and me i'm still looking but in no real hurry
Sounds like a great day for a proposal. Very nice. Good memory. Life memory!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool KCW. I like the looks of it. I've really been wanting a dual sport. Something small and street legal that I can get off the beaten track with on lands nearby.

·
Super Moderator
4,516 Posts

My favorite time was teaching my four sons to ride. This is a picture of my youngest in 1980 on my bike. Only one on my sons now ride as an adult but they always talk about that time in thier life. Right up there as my favorite are the current rides with my wife. We go on 4 or 5 one day long rides a year of 250 miles or more. This is a great topic. I know I missed some favorite ride but must have been over 7 years ago, ha ha.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Been riding for 12 years but only day trips. Last year a friend and I did a week long adventure and we both loved it. We had no set plans, just a rough idea of where we wanted to go and we ventured off course quite a few times. What was supposed to be a 5 day trip turned into 7 days and yes we got lost a few times. But it was a true adventure and was a great feeling to get up every morning and decide which way to point the motorcycle and just go.

Really made me feel free and without a care in the world. Can't wait to get back in the saddle and do it again this season.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome photo lesblank. Thanks for sharing. Very nice you can share riding with your wife!

BKnight, that sounds like you had a great time. I would love a ride like that. It's good to get lost some times.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My best motorcycle memory was going away to a beautiful town called Bright with my new partner. It's about 4 hours away in the Victorian high country. I'd been looking after my wife with dementia for years and it felt so good to just get away from the house and feel some freedom again.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome chedobean. We all deserve that feeling of freedom.
I was with someone who for years suffered from mental health issues. After being single, I found freedom in taking up skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, and finally motorcycles!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Awesome chedobean. We all deserve that feeling of freedom.
I was with someone who for years suffered from mental health issues. After being single, I found freedom in taking up skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, and finally motorcycles!

It's exhausting isn't it. I kind of just fell into a new relationship, but sometimes I kind of wish I had more time to myself and no one to answer too.[keep that quiet though].

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I guess my fondest motorcycle memory would have to be when one of my older brothers, of which I have 3, decided to move my oldest brothers 1949 Harley he had just got to refurbish, for my mother. She was doin laundry and the bike was kind of in her way. She said no, wait till yer brother gets home from work, and he'll move it. But he decided to move it anyway. Now mind you, he's only about 15 or so, weighs probly about 130lbs. The bike has a suicide clutch that he is also not familiar with. So he jumps on it till he finally gets it runnin. Kick start, and not an easy feat when ya got no ass to push with. Then pushes in the clutch and slips it into gear. Then when he started leaving the clutch out, it grabbed all at once and took off. Up across the old porch it went, and down into the basement, taking out the basement door and slamming into the old coal furnace. Fell over on its side, running full out, till my other brother ran down and shut it off. Scared the hell out of me. Thought he killed himself. But he was ok. Till my oldest brother got home anyway. I can still see it all happening in my head just like then. And I wasn't even ridin! Have other fond memories of ridin that bike with my brother too. He always scared the hell out of me on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My favorite bike memory was in 1996. I was 13 My step dad and I took a vacation together. It wasn't a long vacation just a couple days ride.
The weather was perfect the entire time. He had just bought a new Electraglide and we couldn't wait to ride. We rode from home across the dragon back up through N.C. into Mountain City across Copper Head Road, then back home to East TN. It took us 3 days total. We had a hell of a time just being guys. He works out of the state now and only gets home about once a year. I really want to get my bike going so we can do this ride together the next time he comes to visit.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
I really like this topic too YamaMassgirl!
I've had several great memories, yet one is very high on my list. In the accompanying pic I'm on my old Honda VT700 I purchased from one of my former partners. It's the predecessor to my Yamaha 650 classic and my current 950t as I'd just got back into riding.I'd gone through a bad divorce and having grown up in SoCal riding dirt bikes, I missed that freedom we all share. It felt so good to be back on the open road and it was very therapeutic for me. From there I made new biker friends and have never looked back some 11 years ago. IMG_3251.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts