Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Texans,

I would like to hear your favorite Texas roads to ride on. I am a new rider in Houston slowly getting used to the traffic. My first "long road trip" might be to ride down to Galveston and cruise the Seawall Blvd and go down toward Surfside and back. Another one might be to go up to the Liberty area for some piney woods scenery.

Is there a good internet source that lists and/or describes fun roads in Texas?

Please post up your favorites.

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link Bevo. It has plenty to choose from. I need to get more experience with handling the "twisties" before I go for the hill country. I went to UT and really miss that area. Besides the hill country around Austin, another top wish of mine is to ride "The River Road" by the Guadulupe river in New Braunfels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
a good long ride would be to start north on 146 and end up riding around Lake Livingston. you avoid I-45 altogether and I-59 as much as possible. this is how i go south for destinations on east side of Houston, or to Galveston from north of Huntsville.
for destinations on the west side there are two routes; depending on how far south the destination. main thing is to avoid the Interstste system. these bikes are not slow, but they are light, and the big trucks going too fast can push us around a bit. ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Denim,

I do plan on going more North toward Livingston and the piney woods. I did take 146 over the Fred Hartman bridge to Dayton and then back via some fun farm roads. The ride back over the bridge was somewhat nervous due to gusty cross-winds which lifted and moved my tank bag. I got to find some more magnets to hold it down better. For a "longer shorter" trip I may just take 146 and then veer West toward the Cleveland area. At Dayton, Farm to Market 1008 to to 321 to 105 East and back to 146 looks fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can try heading thru our town. 146 north to 330 and at the end take 2100 north past the local Star dealership and keep going all the way to Cleveland. Nice ride in the summer because the trees cover the road and keep the hot sun off you.
There are some bends but not like the back roads around Austin. Take one different turn and end up in Conroe. 7Coves is a nice road to run down and ends at a park or marina.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts