Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive noticed on my 04 vstar 1100 that when im going at a cruising speed and im holding the throttle steady , i feel a slight hesitation from the engine, like it cuts off a little bit.. what could it be?:confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would it be correct to say what your describing is the bike is surging? Not really cutting out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be correct to say what your describing is the bike is surging? Not really cutting out.

Not really sure how to discribe it but it sort of feels like a choo choo train in a slight way...its not bad but you can definitely feel it...a slight back n forth tugging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on mine. Usually while cruising around 30 through town. I would describe mine as a slight miss, but only occasional. Same thing?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've noticed the same thing on mine. Usually while cruising around 30 through town. I would describe mine as a slight miss, but only occasional. Same thing?

Ive noticed it on mine while holding a steady throttle while going 65-70 mph

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ive noticed it on mine while holding a steady throttle while going 65-70 mph
You got a Hypercharger on that thing? Mine does it sometimes when running about that speed on the highway. Different wind direction interferes with the airflow and causes this problem for me. It's a little annoying but I don't feel like swapping my intake right now.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Only time I have noticed mine doing that is when I need to switch to reserve. It will do what you are describing once or twice in the last mile or so before it actually gives out. It's so slight it took me several times to notice it enough to switch before I actually ran out.
on different rides I have thought it did it at other times but its so slight and spiratic I just figured it was my imagination. In my case it's not enough to bother looking for a cause at this point.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Is your carb vent tube tucked up and zip tied to the upper frame rail?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ive been having the same deal with mine usually at 45 to 50 mph cruise. Doesn't do it all the time. 04 1100 classic with bout 16500 miles. Have already cleaned carbs awhile back. I was just getting ready to inquire bout this myself. Was wonderin if needles could be gettin gummed up from bad fuel?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got a Hypercharger on that thing? Mine does it sometimes when running about that speed on the highway. Different wind direction interferes with the airflow and causes this problem for me. It's a little annoying but I don't feel like swapping my intake right now.

no hypercharger, just a K&N air filter

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive been having the same deal with mine usually at 45 to 50 mph cruise. Doesn't do it all the time. 04 1100 classic with bout 16500 miles. Have already cleaned carbs awhile back. I was just getting ready to inquire bout this myself. Was wonderin if needles could be gettin gummed up from bad fuel?

seems like your horse is the same exact one as mine with the same miles on em..... i wonder what could it be, my carbs are clean and I ran a bottle of sea foam thru it too...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I will need to figure that out Mick, im not quite sure where that one is
In lots of cases when the carb vent tube catches wind just right it can cause a repeated hesitation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
.its not bad but you can definitely feel it...a slight back n forth tugging.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a lean surge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
.its not bad but you can definitely feel it...a slight back n forth tugging.
This sounds like a lean surge.[/QUOTE]

Mine started doing that after I installed Cobra Slip Ons. At 25 or 30 mph in town it would hesitate a bit almost like a bit of a miss intermittently. Definitely not smooth. Turning the PMS screws out didn't fix the problem. As soon as I went to bigger pilot jets it went away so I think you are on the right track thinking it's a lean issue.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you want to test it for being lean, just turn the PMS out 1/2 to a full turn and see what happens. You could also try turning on the "choke" slightly...but it's way too easy to over do it that way. The PMS is usually the best choice.

What main jet size are you guys running?

With all that said, it is still a good idea to zip tie the carb vent hose to the frame rail........it will take that out of the equation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats most likely the issue, running lean....
is running it lean a big issue that needs to be taken care of ASAP or can It be run as is?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts