Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Your right most if the time words can’t describe the fulfillment it gives to us. I like how you expressed what clicks for you. I was involved in two major wrecks during my lifetime of riding so I’m well aware of extreme speed. My very boring wordy post was only meant to express the newness that never fades for (me) every time I turn the key on.
Just to be clear - my post was not intended as a put down. And your post wasn't wordy! I'm right there with you. My challenge is - and has always been (if you're a parent you'll know this first-hand) how to share the experience (good and bad). I've come to realize that I can craft the most eloquent descriptions but they simply pale to a person experiencing whatever it is I'm trying to articulate. Fire burns, sunrises are beautiful, motorcycles fill my soul.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
539 Posts
My kids grew up with bikes around. They rode in front of me when they were real small and behind when they were big enough to hold on. Now I have grand kids that I am initiating into the world of motorcycles. My grand daughter loves the big white Road Star and going for a ride. I got them a mini bike for the yard and she will go till it runs out of gas. If I am still alive when she turns 16 I will get her a bike. My grand son her twin doesn't seem as interested and that is cool. I get a little evil thrill knowing my daughters in laws don't care for it. I go hehe under my breath.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
Dude, ever hear of a "will"? Bequeath an amount to buy a bike, gear ( summer and winter sets! ) , 1 year insurance, and an amount put on a nation wide pre-paid GAS card.
DONE.

Jspree and Boog almost said it but with different words. I give both an 85%.

I believe the PROBLEM is not stated correctly. But I not only offer the corrected problem, but the ANSWER to the problem. Really.

The PROBLEM is: you want to explain a rainbow to someone that has been blind since birth. Not. Going. to. Happen/Work.

The ANSWER: here, put this on and get on the back.

And the cool part in this? Even a BLIND person gets to enjoy it! (Ok, the last line was 50% not serious. All the rest IS serious)

☺😎😆

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
539 Posts
Yeh No.. Wills can cause alot of familly distress. No will. I don't need one. No funeral, I don't want one

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
924 Posts
I did not want a funeral or a gravestone or a memorial, either. But I understand that whatever happens after I am gone is totally irrelevant to me as I no longer exist. So I have told my family to do with me as they please after I am dead.

EDIT: Come to think of it, why do we suddenly talk about wills and funerals? I thought this topic was about the fun of riding :unsure: ;)

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
About him wanting to buy girl a bike when she turns 16. Not a dead/dieing thread.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,623 Posts
I thought this thread was about letting our new brother @Ric know that he is gonna get a lot out of joining this forum.

@scootersage, you can always boycott your funeral...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well put like the most of us our experiences are very much like that. I have been doing it and i am almost 60. Although 2 years ago i sold my 1800VTX and bought my 1100 classic and have never looked back
Just curious. I had a 2003 VTX 1800 and sold it and I really regretted it afterwards. I’ve since moved on but wish I had kept it. What do you like better about your current bike since you’ve never looked back?

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Just curious. I had a 2003 VTX 1800 and sold it and I really regretted it afterwards. I’ve since moved on but wish I had kept it. What do you like better about your current bike since you’ve never looked back?
How much lighter and agile it is to move around the yard. Past cars on the drive way etc. My wife parks so it is a challenge. The thing i love about the 1100 classic is the retro looks. Don't get me wrong the 1800 was a great bike never a problem. I got this bike and cash in the bank also. I had the vtx for 10 years. I am a cruiser not a speeder. The 1100 has never left me needing more motor. It is almost 250# lighter and a lower center of gravity.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
I'm still a new rider, but already I've started experiencing so much of the OP's descriptions of why we ride. (Sigh! The bike's in the garage right now until winter moves on.)
Lol, I just volunteered to wear as many layers as I have to, just to ride 10 minutes each way on my bike for work. "Yes honey, I will do it to get one of our vehicles legal as cheap as possible". Central Missouri.

After 30 years, I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT!!!!

BUT, I drove for years in Colorado springs CO all winter long. 3 feet thick packed snow/ice on the roads. Never dropped it once (Yamaha XS650. AKA 650 special but before it was labeled "special" ).

So PLEASE do not take this post as a challenge!!! I have past experience on winter bike riding. Never exceed your comfort zone when doing something new/unusual on your bike.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I always get amused when people talk about agility in the same sentence as cruisers :) There basically are no agile cruisers, just some are less un-agile than others. Those of you who are familiar with small standard motorcycles of the 70s and 80s know agility, and those with experience on modern(ish) sports bikes also know what agility is. A cruiser can be light steering, even lighter than some sports bikes, but they are still slow steering. It takes a lot more distance to change direction with a cruiser than a standard in general and sport bikes in particular.

That said, compared to a VTX1800 an XVS1100 is nimble. Compared to an FZR400 or R6, both are trucks.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
😄 That video really do show how I can be 😬 I am an INTP personality, cannot help it. The more important it is to me, the more difficult it is to override my natural "core", unfortunately.

And FWIW, I am not against people enjoying their motorcycles, just that "agile" and "cruiser" fit together about as well as a left hand glove put on your right hand; can work, but can it work very well? Oh, there I did it again 😄

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Reactions: Boog

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I am an INTP personality, cannot help it.
I had to look that one up, sounds a lot like me.

" INTP are often described as quiet and analytical. They enjoy spending time alone, thinking about how things work and coming up with solutions to problems. "

Reactions: Boog and faffi
21 - 40 of 40 Posts