Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Female Motorcycle Ownership On the Rise | RideApart

looks like female motorcycle ownership has doubled in the past decade; currently 14% of bike owners are women.

the most interesting part to me was that the #1 bike of choice among women is cruisers at 34% while scooters came in 2nd at 33%. i would have figured scooters would have easily been the top bike choice of women.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
I think scooters would have been at the top as well, yet this past year I saw more and more women riding medium sized cruisers at some of the poker runs we participated in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just a guess here, but cruisers usually have low seat heights and some of the scooters are pretty tall. My 400 Majesty is tall enough that I have trouble getting both feet flat on the ground while sitting on it, and I am taller than most women at 5'8". If I want to move the Majesty around in the garage or on the driveway, I can "paddle" it backwards with my feet, but have to use engine power to move it forward. There is also the issue of width with the scooter, since it has a floorboard which does not allow me to get my feet straight down, as I can with my Star.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I think scooters would have been at the top as well, yet this past year I saw more and more women riding medium sized cruisers at some of the poker runs we participated in.

were i live scooter riders are a menace people ride em like bicycles as if stop lights and traffic signs don't pertain to them. i get extra cautious when i near one of those, then get away from it as soon as possible. they should make scooter riders take the safety coarse before they can legally ride one. i saw one with 3 up this summer, doing like 50mph down a city street just blowing through red lights like it was nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
I've seen them flying thru store parking lots as if they were bicycles. Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

·
Super Moderator
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Austin is a hippy/hipster town that has a lot of cyclists and moped riders. i'd say that women make up about half the bike riders here under 200cc. it's a cheap way to get around and more environmentally friendly than anything else.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Austin is a hippy/hipster town that has a lot of cyclists and moped riders. i'd say that women make up about half the bike riders here under 200cc. it's a cheap way to get around and more environmentally friendly than anything else.
i don't see how scooters are environmentally friendly, most of em are 2 strokes which have very high emissions. the EPA is trying to end the production of all 2 stroke engines. give em another year or two and they will get the ban passed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
because they are either electric or get about 80mpg
just because they get good MPG doesn't make em environmentally friendly. the 2 strokes cause more pollution than a four cylinder car according to the EPA. electrics would be great but the only electric scooters were i live have elderly persons on them and there called rascals....LOL

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think the reason we see women riding is the same reason we see woman doing many things today that were unheard of 20 or 30 years ago. Women are becoming more independent and individual. Instead of riding behind someone they have decided they want the full experience. As far as why they choose cruisers over a scooter...well I think that's pretty obvious. Same reason you did. I mean come on, look at a scooter. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as why they choose cruisers over a scooter...well I think that's pretty obvious. Same reason you did. I mean come on, look at a scooter. :grin:
i think it just depends on where you live. i don't think women are buying cruisers just to get around town. maybe the same could be said of men as well. and if you're in a college town or such it makes more sense to get around on a moped versus a cruiser. at least for women. but it would be interesting to see some poll or survey that asks such.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts