Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that Strider13 thread got me to thinking. I hope he doesn't mind me following his lead.

Let's hear about the times you have been stopped by Law Enforcement Officers while riding. Ever been stopped? Never been stopped? If you have, how did it go?

I'm curious because around here it seems like bikers get a lot of passes that cars would not get. Like speeding in particular. My non-scientific observation has been that if you aren't being obviously reckless, speeding bikes don't get stopped. And every bike I see is speeding if traffic permits, and often when maybe it doesn't permit, as in lane splitting. Rolling stop signs? We all roll through them.

Myself, I have never been stopped on the bike, and it definitely is not because I am johnny obedience. I almost never see a bike stopped by LEO.

Am I just lucky? Is CA different than other states? Do cops figure it isn't worth running us down? Or maybe they figure we're mostly only endangering ourselves.

Particularly interested in thoughts of current or former LEO, such as @Keith Post (only one I know of here)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,950 Posts
It's similar to that in Texas also. If you are are within reason they let you go. Been a few years since my last ticket but I've had a few interesting my day. In my sport bike days I was heading to Central Texas from Houston, about 3 hours, after midnight. It was late and I was young and crazy, ok, I'm still crazy. At the time had a CB1100f. Making pretty good time and coming up on a small town, didn't even have a traffic light. I slowed down a bit, got out of town and cracked the throttle again. A few miles down the road there's a state trooper sitting on side road. He didn't pull right out, so thought I got lucky. A crest a hill, look behind me and see flashing lights several miles behind me. So I pull over, take helmet and gloves off waiting for them. They pass me going a high rate of speed, there are two cop cars. They start to brake almost running into each other. The local guy handcuffed me saying I was evading arrest by speeding off and speeding 83 in a 35mph area. The state trooper got me for 122. I was impressed, didn't know the bike would go that fast. Spent the night in the local jail and went before the judge the next morning. Judge asked me if I wanted legal counsel and I declined. So we had both officers there. So judge started with the evading arrest. I told the judge the second I saw the flashing lights that I pulled over. The judge ask the officer if this was correct, officer answered yes, that case was dismissed. Now to the 83mph in a 35mph zone. Judge asked me how I plead, NOT guilty. Officer went into stating he had me on radar and his unit had just been calibrated. I asked the officer what time did the alleged offense occurring, he stated 12:15am. I then showed the judge the second ticket I had gotten from the state trooper several miles out of town and the time was 12:15am. I told the judge I could not have been where I had gotten the first ticket as I was already pulled over by the second Officer. The judge looked at the two officers, looked at me, tore up both tickets, cussed out the officers and told me I was not guilty and free to leave. I asked the judge if I could file a false imprisonment change, the look I got was priceless. This is an absolutely true story, small town Texas cops at their best. Oh, the things I did in my younger days.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have never been stopped while riding Big Bertha or any of my other motorcycles for that matter.
I think one of the three reasons I was in my 40s when I decided to put as many miles behind the bars as I could. So my ability to take stupid risks was quiet a bit lower then it was in my teens & 20s.
The second reason is I've been lucky that I wasn't caught going 'way to fast' or not using my signal. Or the many other possible infractions I could have been cited for
The final reason, I keep my bike running properly. Lights all work. It's not smoking or extremely loud. Etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
This bothers me, last Friday I got written up for speeding in my SUV on the way to work, there was motorcycle going a bit faster than me but LEO decided to pull me over instead.
I got written up for going 45MPH on a 35MPH in the city. When he walked up to my window, I rolled it down. The first thing that came out of my lips was the guy in the motorcycle was going faster than me. He responded "I was pointing at the hood of your car and clocked you going 45MPH". Turns out that I was going to ride to work on that day but I was running late and didn't want to take the extra time to pull the bike out the garage, warm it up, and gather my gear. In fact when I ride to work I'm usually going faster than 45 on that stretch of the road where i got written up.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,339 Posts
It's similar to that in Texas also. If you are are within reason they let you go. Been a few years since my last ticket but I've had a few interesting my day. In my sport bike days I was heading to Central Texas from Houston, about 3 hours, after midnight. It was late and I was young and crazy, ok, I'm still crazy. At the time had a CB1100f. Making pretty good time and coming up on a small town, didn't even have a traffic light. I slowed down a bit, got out of town and cracked the throttle again. A few miles down the road there's a state trooper sitting on side road. He didn't pull right out, so thought I got lucky. A crest a hill, look behind me and see flashing lights several miles behind me. So I pull over, take helmet and gloves off waiting for them. They pass me going a high rate of speed, there are two cop cars. They start to brake almost running into each other. The local guy handcuffed me saying I was evading arrest by speeding off and speeding 83 in a 35mph area. The state trooper got me for 122. I was impressed, didn't know the bike would go that fast. Spent the night in the local jail and went before the judge the next morning. Judge asked me if I wanted legal counsel and I declined. So we had both officers there. So judge started with the evading arrest. I told the judge the second I saw the flashing lights that I pulled over. The judge ask the officer if this was correct, officer answered yes, that case was dismissed. Now to the 83mph in a 35mph zone. Judge asked me how I plead, NOT guilty. Officer went into stating he had me on radar and his unit had just been calibrated. I asked the officer what time did the alleged offense occurring, he stated 12:15am. I then showed the judge the second ticket I had gotten from the state trooper several miles out of town and the time was 12:15am. I told the judge I could not have been where I had gotten the first ticket as I was already pulled over by the second Officer. The judge looked at the two officers, looked at me, tore up both tickets, cussed out the officers and told me I was not guilty and free to leave. I asked the judge if I could file a false imprisonment change, the look I got was priceless. This is an absolutely true story, small town Texas cops at their best. Oh, the things I did in my younger days.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,339 Posts
I have never been stopped while riding Big Bertha or any of my other motorcycles for that matter.
I think one of the three reasons I was in my 40s when I decided to put as many miles behind the bars as I could. So my ability to take stupid risks was quiet a bit lower then it was in my teens & 20s.
The second reason is I've been lucky that I wasn't caught going 'way to fast' or not using my signal. Or the many other possible infections I could have been cited for
The final reason, I keep my bike running properly. Lights all work. It's not smoking or extremely loud. Etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes @Scrumdown PLEASE tell us about your “infections” and HOW you got them? Do tell!
Lol!

·
2,743 Posts
I've only been pulled over once on a bike. I was in my late 20s riding my FZ600 sport bike. My speedometer cable had broken and the dealer in town had closed shop so I was on my way to one about an hour away and was stopped at a light on a busy 4 lane thoroughfare (the local cruising road). I was first in line in the left lane and when the light changed I cracked it and was up to 83 kmh (so I was informed later) - about 50 mph - before I shifted into 3rd. This was a 50 kmh zone (30 mph). I glanced in my mirror and saw the car behind me suddenly move over to the right lane. The reason quickly became obvious - a police car with the lights flashing had been right behind him. I hadn't even seen it back there but he sure saw me. I pulled over immediately and after the usual request for licence and registration, the first thing he asked was if I knew how fast I was going. "Actually, no," was my smartass reply. "My speedometer isn't working. I'm on my way to get a cable."

Without even blinking he said, "Well, you know you were going over 50, right?", and took out his ticket book.

Long story short, I didn't get off with a warning.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
In all my years i have never been pulled over on a bike. One interesting time in my brothers 69 mustang fastback. I was 16 and came sliding around a corner and all i saw was cop cars. Someone had been spray painting cars on the block. Older officer standing in the road pointing me over. He said whose car is this i said my brothers. He asked if my brother knew i drove it like that, he paused and said i bet he he drives it the same way, He let me go with a warning because i had no prior record.I have a few tickets in cars in my 20s but nothing exotic.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Never been stopped on the bike (~55,000 miles). Last time stopped in the car was December 1996. Got off with just a warning. Knocking on wood now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have been stopped by LEO 3 times in my life, at 16 in a car on the hiway ( warning), at 29 in company van 8 hours before my 30th birthday ( ticket) and on a bike in California on a bike I had built.
It was a Honda CB 750 bored to an 803,on a Jammer hard tail frame with a 10 over springer. I had gone through the 500 mile break in on the band new build of the engine and I wanted to see what it would do.I was clocked at 147 mph by a motorcycle CHP. I saw him and just shut it down and pulled over. He caught up with me , chewed me out and then spent 30 minutes going over the bike looking at everything ( he loved it ) He let me go with a warning to chill the F.... out . I was 20.
Been lucky ever since, I cruise at around 80 on the Strat here on I-10 and up I- 65. There are so many cars and trucks passing me , I don't even get a second look.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Can't say I have.
I try and abide by the law and don't give them a reason to stop me.
Get checked out sometimes though.
Usually cops looking at expired registration tags, not using signals, speeding and overall aggressive driving.
Lane splitting is not allowed here.
I always come to a complete stop at stop sign for 2 reasons.
1. You roll through it and you take your chances of someone splattering you all over the road.
2. Cops will watch to make sure you put your feet down. If you don't, you take your chances of getting popped for blowing a stop sign. (This has happened to people I know and cost them time off work and the hassle to go to court)
I do about 5 over what my speedometer says.
I had someone last year flick their lit cigarette out the window and exploded into sparks when it hit my leg.
At the next stop light I got next to them and bitched at them.
They apologized.
They passed a law here that cell phones are not to be used period within city limits unless it's hands free.
It actually has increased usage because I see people blabbing on their phone, texting and not being aware of their surroundings.
Its not like the old days before technology so I have to be careful and watch out for people, it's essential to my survival.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
This is an interesting thread bpounds!
I was cut a break when I was sixteen by an officer and he was very cool. As a veteran officer now, I try to pay it forward. I don’t chase motorcycles because the risk for the crotch rocket crowd isn’t worth it even in my Hemi Charger. I had a DUI case in Memphis several years ago and I was heading to cou a crotch rocket passed me at 125mph. He was just a blur. As I crossed the state line I saw traffic backing up as he had wrecked out and was another statistic sadly.
I take everything into consideration upon issuing actual citations and it matters not who you are, but what you’re doing. I wrote the son of the city manager in the next town to us a reckless driving citation for speeding doing 55 in 30 and driving in a reckless manner. He stopped in a mud puddle so I’d have to walk in it so I did a passenger approach. He was arrogant, cocky, and just finished traffic school the month before. He hadn’t learned his lesson. Within 30minutes by interim chief calls me and asked me about the stop. He asked if I knew who his parents were. I said not at the time, and I don’t care who his family is. He’s a reckless driver and nobody is above the law and I’m not remanding the ticket. He said he understood and the guy paid his fine right before court. We have body cameras so in case there’s a dispute. I’ll try to cut the working class a break as long as there’s no negative history on their license. Very rarely do I stop motorcycles because most of their Speedo’s are off and they’re very respectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have never been ticketed for something I didnt do. But in Ontario there is a very active biker gang/drug problem here so they see the cruisers and sometimes pull us over just to check. All told I have been stopped on the bike 3 times and the questions are always about any gang affiliations. I have no problems stopping for the police and don't get mad if I catch a fine for something I did. I do truly appreciate the cops for the job they do around here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have never been ticketed for something I didnt do. But in Ontario there is a very active biker gang/drug problem here so they see the cruisers and sometimes pull us over just to check. All told I have been stopped on the bike 3 times and the questions are always about any gang affiliations. I have no problems stopping for the police and don't get mad if I catch a fine for something I did. I do truly appreciate the cops for the job they do around here.
I have a problem with that.
Just pulling you over to see is you have "gang" affiliations?
I would be having a discussion with a lawyer if they did that to me.
Usually clubs (and I never use the term gang no matter who it is) show their colors.
Sounds like the cops need some education.

·
2,743 Posts
I would think the cops would know that biker gangs like that don't allow metric bikes. But I suppose to some a motorcycle is a motorcycle.

You're absolutely right RS... 1% bike CLUBS around here don't allow metric bikes. Some will allow Victory or Indian, but that's the limit.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would think the cops would know that biker gangs like that don't allow metric bikes. But I suppose to some a motorcycle is a motorcycle.

You're absolutely right RS... 1% bike CLUBS around here don't allow metric bikes. Some will allow Victory or Indian, but that's the limit.
Asian sport bike clubs do!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Plus some police can't see the difference until your stopped. The conversation usually revolves around them wanting to check for proper gear and license. Then it makes it into affiliations.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts