Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here in Florida it is very easy to spot who has gang affiliations and who doesn't, now are they a full patch member or not is a different story.....I know several who will wear probationary colors when riding solo and full patch when in a pack. Also if you really know what to look for you can see it in hats, shirts and other apparel if they are a member or a supporter.
I know LEO in this area are very schooled on gang affiliation and what to look for.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am part of a Riding Association. I can tell you there is a difference in how cars respond around when I wear my vest versus when I don't.
I have never had another club give me sh1t for where my vest. I have had them given me sh1t for riding a Road Star (aka a Jap bike).
The riding Association I belong to is The Widows Son R.A. We are group of the Master Masons who love riding and we support the Masonic homes & other charities in our respective states.
Now there have been some places I've be told that some 1% clubs don't want me/us wearing our vests. I have not ridden to areas yet. So I cannot comment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am a member of Southern Cruiser R/C ( Riding Club) , the only place I have been where I couldn't or didn't wear my vest was in the Outlaws Clubhouse. I have known a couple of those guys for almost 40 years. They know I am not a 1 % er and don't want to be and they respect me for that . I don't try to act like I am , I ride everyday and they see me at all the local events . So it is a matter of mutual respect and it ends there . I stay out of their business and they don't get into mine .
It is very easy to be a biker and not have a problem an MC, the ones who have a problem is the ones who try to be something other then themselves , thinking they have to be big and bad to ride . They learn real quick and usually sell their bike when they can't be the stereo type of what they think a biker is...
It is like most in here , being a biker is enjoying the ride and helping each other when they have a problem. That is exactly what we have here , brothers helping each other staying on the rode.

My favorite saying is the difference between a biker and a motorcyclist is a motorcyclist looks at the weather to see if they can ride. A biker looks at the weather to see what they need to wear for the ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been stopped on a bike once back in the 90's on my CB 750F. I was overtaking a car exiting a roundabout. The officer didnt have me on radar but said I was speeding because the car I went by was doing the limit. Just got a warning. A couple years later in the same town my buddy got written up for speeding. He was acting like an idiot and blew by me on his CBR600. I just shook my head as I watched the cop pull out of a side street a block ahead of me and put his lights on. He deserved that one, lol.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am part of a Riding Association. I can tell you there is a difference in how cars respond around when I wear my vest versus when I don't.
I have never had another club give me sh1t for where my vest. I have had them given me sh1t for riding a Road Star (aka a Jap bike).
The riding Association I belong to is The Widows Son R.A. We are group of the Master Masons who love riding and we support the Masonic homes & other charities in our respective states.
Now there have been some places I've be told that some 1% clubs don't want me/us wearing our vests. I have not ridden to areas yet. So I cannot comment.

Hope your not sporting a 3 patch cut.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hope your not sporting a 3 patch cut.
It's not.
There were rumblings of becoming a club. I & many of my brothers would excuse ourselves if they made us a club.
Too much BS in being a club.
We love riding together & supporting our charities. That's it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's not.
There were rumblings of becoming a club. I & many of my brothers would excuse ourselves if they made us a club.
Too much BS in being a club.
We love riding together & supporting our charities. That's it.

Yeah I can relate to that. I have enough hobbies and work around the house that I can't get around to doing now as it is.
Group rides around here are usually rallies for a cause other than that, it's mostly solo riding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My only time getting stopped by the Five 0 was when I had my Zuma 125 scooter. A yellow came light came on ahead and I had to throw the chute to get stopped in time. The chute consisted of yellow caution tape and a Glad Stretch Flex Garbage Bag. Once I came to a stop I put the bike on the stand and wrapped the chute back up and sat on it. That is when I noticed the car behind me was a cop. He pulled me over. He came up to me laughing his ass off. Me with a straight face told I'm sorry officer. She gets buck wild sometimes and I have to throw the chute to come to a stop. He sees the MAD PWR on my plates and just laughs and tells me that was one of the funniest things he has seen in his line of work. Myself staying in character said it's handy to have when I get speed wobble or tank slap. He continued to laugh. Once he was done he just told me to keep the chute for the track not the street. I said yes sir. I pulled my chute off put it in my storage and off I went. I wish I would have had a gopro to record that stop. It was hilarious.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My only time getting stopped by the Five 0 was when I had my Zuma 125 scooter. A yellow came light came on ahead and I had to throw the chute to get stopped in time. The chute consisted of yellow caution tape and a Glad Stretch Flex Garbage Bag. Once I came to a stop I put the bike on the stand and wrapped the chute back up and sat on it. That is when I noticed the car behind me was a cop. He pulled me over. He came up to me laughing his ass off. Me with a straight face told I'm sorry officer. She gets buck wild sometimes and I have to throw the chute to come to a stop. He sees the MAD PWR on my plates and just laughs and tells me that was one of the funniest things he has seen in his line of work. Myself staying in character said it's handy to have when I get speed wobble or tank slap. He continued to laugh. Once he was done he just told me to keep the chute for the track not the street. I said yes sir. I pulled my chute off put it in my storage and off I went. I wish I would have had a gopro to record that stop. It was hilarious.

View attachment 91633
Lol. If it was a Chinese scooter he would have given you a ticket!

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
my Zuma 125 scooter... had to throw the chute to get stopped...
^ Funny stuff right there :)

...I don’t chase motorcycles because the risk for the crotch rocket crowd isn’t worth it even in my Hemi Charger...
I suspected that in some cases it does come down to that. Just isn't worth going in "hot pursuit" after someone who is only risking their own life. Even though we all know the radio can catch anyone.

Learned an interesting thing yesterday. I'm shopping for a new umbrella insurance policy, and the company I'm going with does not cover me for liability while riding the bike. At first I thought, how much damage could I do with a bike, but after thinking for a moment longer, I realized I could kill someone besides myself easily in an accident, and it happens all the time. And a passenger could be a victim too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Road Slug the Two Brother Exhaust on that thing was obnoxiously loud. Which made that scooter just that much more hilarious to ride. That and me being in full tuck off the line.

·
Registered
532 Posts
^ Funny stuff right there :)

I suspected that in some cases it does come down to that. Just isn't worth going in "hot pursuit" after someone who is only risking their own life. Even though we all know the radio can catch anyone.
Not true. If you can ditch the cop in 2 minutes, the radio won't help.
Skip to 2:45 on this video and watch the pursuit!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Road Slug the Two Brother Exhaust on that thing was obnoxiously loud. Which made that scooter just that much more hilarious to ride. That and me being in full tuck off the line.
Frigging hilarious. I like the hit nos plate too!
Reminds me of the days when people would modify those Puch mopeds by straight piping it! Lol

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
IN many areas Police will not chase a speeding motorcycle
understanding if the bike takes off the rider has a good chance of crashing and killing himself or someone else
so they just let him go
and let nature take its course

Ive only been stopped once. In the late '70s I had a motorcycle in florida. When I went to get my MC license they said "we dont do that anymore"

when I was transferred to NY state in the Coast Guard I was riding on the shoulder of the road looking at something in a big field. A cop pulled up behind me, and asked for my license.

In NY state you do need a MC endorsement. I didnt know that, assumed all states were the same.

The judge let me off because I was in the service.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Not true. If you can ditch the cop in 2 minutes, the radio won't help.
Skip to 2:45 on this video and watch the pursuit!
Darwin will catch him eventually.

Rear facing video? Hmm. Is that the thing now days?

·
Registered
113 Posts

I have been into areas controlled by The Pegans. I do not wear anything that could be viewed as colors or showing an affiliation to anything, but I have seen them deal with someone who had an 'association' vest, with a bottom rocker. When seven or eight guys invade my person space and ask me to do something, I comply, but this guy made the mistake of hesitating and having to be asked twice. It was not pretty.

Based on that, I would hate to see anyone press their luck like that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
AND......

I have been stopped once. Just once.

My wife and I passed a traffic stop across the road and my wife said "That cop was really eyeballing us." A couple of seconds later we get the lights and the 'woop woop' and pull over.
We ask permission to dismount and do so. The office said I was out of date on my inspection (PA - green / October). This was mid-November and I told him that the bike was just inspected. He looked closer and said "Oh yeah, you're good, but your mechanic didn't do you any favors giving you the same color sticker as last year. It's legal, but you might end up getting stopped a couple times." "No reason to stop you so I'm not going to ask for your license or anything...have a nice rest of your ride."

I get that he stopped me based on the color the inspection sticker. It shocked me that he didn't check anything. I thought that was pretty cool of him. Part of it may have been that my hands stayed on the bars and my wife's hands were on my shoulders as he approached. We asked if we could dismount, and then asked if we could take our helmets off. I do that stuff because you never know what kind of day that officer is having and it's good to give him / her reason to think you are not a wise-ass.

Some of the crap I've pulled on that bike...but that is the only time I have been stopped. (i'm gonna go knock on wood now).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have been into areas controlled by The Pegans. I do not wear anything that could be viewed as colors or showing an affiliation to anything, but I have seen them deal with someone who had an 'association' vest, with a bottom rocker. When seven or eight guys invade my person space and ask me to do something, I comply, but this guy made the mistake of hesitating and having to be asked twice. It was not pretty.

Based on that, I would hate to see anyone press their luck like that.
And that's one of the reason I dislike clubs. "Hey ... this is my turf. You cannot wear THAT here. If you don't listen 8 of us will beat you up."
It's childish & stupid.
I could see it if i was in/on club property. But out in public. It should be free game.

·
Registered
532 Posts
AND......

I have been stopped once. Just once.

My wife and I passed a traffic stop across the road and my wife said "That cop was really eyeballing us." A couple of seconds later we get the lights and the 'woop woop' and pull over.
We ask permission to dismount and do so. The office said I was out of date on my inspection (PA - green / October). This was mid-November and I told him that the bike was just inspected. He looked closer and said "Oh yeah, you're good, but your mechanic didn't do you any favors giving you the same color sticker as last year. It's legal, but you might end up getting stopped a couple times." "No reason to stop you so I'm not going to ask for your license or anything...have a nice rest of your ride."

I get that he stopped me based on the color the inspection sticker. It shocked me that he didn't check anything. I thought that was pretty cool of him. Part of it may have been that my hands stayed on the bars and my wife's hands were on my shoulders as he approached. We asked if we could dismount, and then asked if we could take our helmets off. I do that stuff because you never know what kind of day that officer is having and it's good to give him / her reason to think you are not a wise-ass.

Some of the crap I've pulled on that bike...but that is the only time I have been stopped. (i'm gonna go knock on wood now).
You have motorcycle inspections there? What a racket!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts