Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
In TN we don’t have any vehicle inspections no matter what the vehicle is, but you can be stopped for a headlight out, faulty taillights, excessively loud exhaust, etc. Most people do a good job at keeping their vehicles up.
Then there’s the crowd that will tell you that they can drive anything they want to, no matter the condition or shape it’s in. Didn’t work out that way this past Saturday afternoon. Clocked a Jeep Cherokee going 59 in 30 and he tried to ditch me ducking down a side street. It was no contest and he and his friends in the Jeep thought it was funny as he slid a dip in his mouth.
When he received his three(3) citations I cautioned him about trying to out run a hemi Charger. The laughing immediately ceased !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
In TN we don’t have any vehicle inspections no matter what the vehicle is, but you can be stopped for a headlight out, faulty taillights, excessively loud exhaust, etc. Most people do a good job at keeping their vehicles up.
Then there’s the crowd that will tell you that they can drive anything they want to, no matter the condition or shape it’s in. Didn’t work out that way this past Saturday afternoon. Clocked a Jeep Cherokee going 59 in 30 and he tried to ditch me ducking down a side street. It was no contest and he and his friends in the Jeep thought it was funny as he slid a dip in his mouth.
When he received his three(3) citations I cautioned him about trying to out run a hemi Charger. The laughing immediately ceased !

Isn't that felony eluding trying to ditch you?
So many people up here just immediately pull over in a lane of traffic actually causing more of a dangerous situation.
Years ago I got stopped in my car for failure to signal during a lane change.
There was so much traffic, it would not be good just to pull over so I just calmly drove a quarter mile and pulled over in a burger king parking lot. Cop knew I wasn't trying to ditch him.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
It’s only felony eluding if he would have been running stop signs, red lights, etc.
It was more evading as supposed to a full on pursuit. I know it’s technical, but the law is very specific. If he would have been running one more mph over the limit at 60 in a 30, I would have charged him with reckless driving due to running 30mph over the posted speed limit. Anything about 30mph over the limit is reckless driving and I would have arrested him and impounded his vehicle. His insurance would have doubled if not tripled if he’d been arrested.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Isn't that felony eluding trying to ditch you?
So many people up here just immediately pull over in a lane of traffic actually causing more of a dangerous situation.
Years ago I got stopped in my car for failure to signal during a lane change.
There was so much traffic, it would not be good just to pull over so I just calmly drove a quarter mile and pulled over in a burger king parking lot. Cop knew I wasn't trying to ditch him.

I'm with you Slug. I do the same thing - get off a major road to a parking lot where it's a lot safer.
I've seen too many YouTube videos of folks pulled over and someone not paying attention and hit the LEO and car.
The Leo can tell if you're trying to run or just get to a safer area.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
One time i was riding home from work. There were weight sensors in the ground. It was about 40* out and i worked 12 hrs and it was 2am. I made a right turn because i couldn't trip the sensor. An officer was in a bank parking lot and saw me. He started following me a ways behind. I turned right off an angle street. He flew ahead and turned up the street as i was going by. Followed me i went over a freeway bridge and turned on my directional. He turned before the bridge and i was expected to see him. I am asuming he figured i was drunk at 2am. Little did he know when i turned left over the HWY bridge i was 3/4 of a block from my house. So i pulled in my drive and waited and never saw him again.
Long story short i eluded him without even trying

·
Registered
39 Posts
I earned my motorcycle licence back in April 1992. I received a piece of paper immediately while I waited for the plastic card to arrive in the mail.

About 10 days after I got my licence, I was riding the local city streets early on a quiet Sunday morning when a motorcycle cop suddenly pulled up behind me, lights flashing and pulled me over. I wasn't speeding or doing anything crazy. My bike was a black 82 Yamaha Seca 400, not a flashy bike by any means.

I pulled out the flimsy paper less than two weeks old, and I guess he could see I just got my licence, and told me I could go on my way, no explanation. I decided not to argue and got going. I never did figure out why he pulled me over. I suspect he could see I was a greenhorn, so maybe the cop wanted to see if I actually had a licence.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
I earned my motorcycle licence back in April 1992.
Wow, I got my motorcycle license in 1969. Either I'm getting really, really old, y'all are young, y'all road around a long time without license or y'all started riding late in life. Nope, I got it, I'm just a really old antique.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I laughed a little reading through these pages. Looks like I'm the ticket "winner". 2 pages of driving record from my teens and early 20's. I could've bought an airplane with the funds I've surrendered to the state of Massachusetts ...

I'll try to remember as many as I can ...

First time on the bike - an '84 KZ700 - riding with my buddy on his new-to-him '83 Interceptor. We were cruising side-by-side at about 30 over the limit on a straight stretch of 2-lane highway. We got pulled over - both of us. We were 16 years old. This cop looked like he'd been on the force for years. He made sure to intimidate us. Luckily all our ducks were in a row - legal reg, inspection, license, no warrants, etc.. He finished with, "You boys come through my town that fast again, and you'll both be getting a tour of our jail." My buddy and I looked at each other and laughed - glad we didn't get nailed with a huge fine. Just a verbal on that one.

Another time not too much long tafter the first one, I was leaving my best friend's house at 1am. I had just installed a Kerker 4-into-1 the week before, and he was telling me how he could hear me for miles. Well this time I wanted to make sure he'd hear me, so I rode home in 2nd gear at 6-grand. 😂 This of course attracted the attention of a cop 1/4 mile down an intersection to my right taking radar. Cop couldn't catch me until I got to my parent's house, as I came into the driveway at 50 MPH. He pulled right in and left the blues going, LOL - whole house was lit up blue. No idea how my parent's didn't wake up on that one. I was already in the tool shed out back as the cop was walking up. He wasn't happy. Gave me a real hard time, and I gave one back ... and got a $50 ticket and the famous Massachusetts SIX YEAR insurance surcharge on top of it. Tried to fight that one in court and lost. Young and dumb!

When we were 17, myself and 2 of my buddies were at a local keg party. After a couple of beers, we thought it would be a great idea to head to Hampton Beach ... at 9pm. We talked about it, and agreed that we'd keep things mellow since we just had a few beers. We got on the highway - 495 northbound. I grew bored real fast of doing 55 mph ... so I pulled up next to my 2 buddies riding in the middle lane, looked over and grinned, pulled the clutch in, gave it 2 sharp revs to redline, downshifted twice, and nailed it. 55 turned into 130. We were being idiots, weaving in and out of traffic, and I was in the breakdown lane at one point. Long story short, we made it there in record time, and back. We did have an odd encounter on the way up, though, that had me suspicious - there was a statie riding in the middle lane, doing the speed limit. You NEVER see this in MA, or anywhere I've been. I'll get to that ... So, about 4 days later I get a letter from the RMV (MA Registry of Motor Vehicles) stating, "You are hereby required to surrender your license IMMEDIATELY to the nearest RMV branch for IMMEDIATE THREAT." I called up my buddies - they all got the same letter. Turns out, we passed the lieutenant, & lieutenant colonel of the MA RMV - the two highest ranking law enforcement officers in the STATE (at the time - the Registry Police have since been disbanded, and combined with the state police)! Just our luck! Turns out, they told the state police to be on the lookout, but just to get our plates, because THEY had us. The punishment went based on prior offenses. One of my buddies was worse than me - he had already maxed out surcharge points not long after he got his license. He had to take the driving test all over again, just like when we were 16. I didn't have to do that, but I lost my license for 1 year. My other buddy with the perfect record, and a close friend's aunt that was a Trooper, got off scot free. That one hurt a bit! I drove all my buddies to the hearing in Boston in my truck with no license ... 😂 The good ol' days!

Many years later, I got nailed with a group of my buddies and fellow MMI students north of Phoenix on 89A, twice on 2 different occasions. We were using the road as a racetrack. Luckily, and shockingly, being from MA, we all got let off.

Not 2 days after I had come back to MA after 2 years in AZ and CA, I got bagged with another buddy, riding his second bike for him to the dealer, so he could trade them both in. $130 after we fought it in court. That sucked. My insurance was just starting to come down after 2 years out West!

Last one that I remember was on my '74 RD350. I was on my very first trip outside of my neighborhood after several months of painstaking restoration, testing, rewiring, and jetting the carburetors. I came around a nice downhill corner to find a cop hiding out below, tucked into a side road. He came right out as soon as I went by. Was a 30 zone there I think, and I was doing at least 50 through that corner. He gave me a break, only because of my CDL license - that one would've caused an issue with my employer at the time. Got real lucky there.

There's 100 more automotive related. You can't do much in MA that's illegal and not get caught - they've got 'em staked out everywhere, since the multi-billion dollar property tax racket clearly isn't enough for our poor, suffering "leadership" in Boston. :poop: Hope you found this entertaining. My grandma always told me before she passed that I should write a book, because it would be a best seller. 😂

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seems that Strider13 thread got me to thinking. I hope he doesn't mind me following his lead.

Let's hear about the times you have been stopped by Law Enforcement Officers while riding. Ever been stopped? Never been stopped? If you have, how did it go?

I'm curious because around here it seems like bikers get a lot of passes that cars would not get. Like speeding in particular. My non-scientific observation has been that if you aren't being obviously reckless, speeding bikes don't get stopped. And every bike I see is speeding if traffic permits, and often when maybe it doesn't permit, as in lane splitting. Rolling stop signs? We all roll through them.

Myself, I have never been stopped on the bike, and it definitely is not because I am johnny obedience. I almost never see a bike stopped by LEO.

Am I just lucky? Is CA different than other states? Do cops figure it isn't worth running us down? Or maybe they figure we're mostly only endangering ourselves.

Particularly interested in thoughts of current or former LEO, such as @Keith Post (only one I know of here)
The last time I was pulled iver while in my bike was 3 times spanning 45 mins. I wasn't doing anything wrong the cops just wanted to getva better look at my helmet.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts