Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, definitely depends on the region. I could see this happening in Dixie - people are super friendly, and RELAXED down there ... but up here in the Northeast, not a chance in hell. Even in rural areas. People are alot less sociable up here. Too many people packed in like sardines, worked to death to pay for the ultra-high cost of living, and pissed off due to all the stress all of that causes. I've been all over the USA, and there's no place like the Northeast. That's not a good thing, either.

If I wasn't married, I'd be on my way to either Texas or Alabama (or anywhere in between) tomorrow! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
Two things that are important to remember, 1-Probably Cause.
2-Reasonable Suspicion.
I’ve stopped people to check out their vehicles or bikes and told them so. If they were in a hurry, or had to be at a wedding, they told me so and we talked later. I’ve never had anyone complain about me stopping them and asking about their ride. Most people handed me their business card, and given me advice on an ongoing project. It’s good community policing.
Did it ruin their day? Are they going to be in therapy the rest of their adult lives? I sincerely doubt it. Again, we are people too. I agree that State Police are more unforgiving, and more cautious, but their backup may be two county’s away. We backup our State Police all the time and happy to do so. They have backed me up several times, it’s called Officer Safety. There is a protocol for making traffic stops,and state law’s regulate them. If a person believes they were unjustly ticketed, file a former complaint, cars have recorders, body cams etc. It’s part of the job and equipment we have to handle.Go for a ride along with a local agency and see what they deal with, especially with the anti police movement that popular amongst political lines now. After you go for a ride along and witness an officer being assaulted by someone on meth or pcp, and witness an officer who made a simple traffic stop to alert the driver of a burned out taillight and is in a fight for his life, come back and tell us if your perception has changed. I’ve been involved in all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I would run away from Keith on principle alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Regarding social pullovers by LEOs,

I've never been pulled over while on a bike (so far. Plain old luck) I've been pulled over plenty in a car, always for a good reason. I've gotten a few warnings. Mostly tickets. Never pulled over just to chat, although a couple of times we have chatted a bit after the official stuff was over.

If I were driving some really fine or otherwise interesting vehicle and a LEO pulled up and signaled to pull over without all his lights and sirens going, I'm pretty sure I'd assume this was to talk about cars/bikes/ or whatever. Eye contact always tells most of the story. Whether it's business or social is probably apparent. I'd be more than fine with that since I like getting the LEO perspective on things just about anytime. If I was getting the whole light show and howlers, I'd assume I'd been caught speeding since I usually am. If I wasn't, (miracle!) I'd be anxious to hear what it was all about. If it was to chat, that would be ok with me although I'd probably be a little uptight at first. If it was social and I was in a big hurry, I'm sure I could politely say so and leave with a suggestion to do it another time.

Now I feel left out that I've never been doing anything interesting enough to get chatted up by the law.
I feel you pain. I lead a boring life also...................but i am ok with that.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
Actually I’ve stopped folks from Canada. All have been very respectful and courteous, I was impressed. Mostly it was for minor infractions, I didn’t cite them.
If they’re not from the area I can’t expect them to know all of the local laws so I take that into consideration. Traffic laws vary from state to state so maybe a violation in MA may not be a violation in TN. What I find entertaining is when people start name dropping , or when tell me I’m not a criminal so why are you bothering me? I explain that nobody is above the law including me. Those drivers usually get cited. I identify everyone in the vehicle, since the 911 tragedy, EVERYONE in the vehicle is required to have some form of photo ID whether it’s a state issued driver’s license or state ID. You wouldn’t believe how many passengers come back with warrants including Murder, Rape, and other felonies. I once arrested a 78 year old grandmother that had a suspended DL and for 3 felony warrants for felony shoplifting. You never know who you’re making contact with.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,658 Posts

·
Administrator
13,675 Posts
2-Reasonable Suspicion.
I’ve stopped people to check out their vehicles or bikes and told them so. If they were in a hurry, or had to be at a wedding, they told me so and we talked later. I’ve never had anyone complain about me stopping them and asking about their ride. Most people handed me their business card, and given me advice on an ongoing project. It’s good community policing.
Did it ruin their day? Are they going to be in therapy the rest of their adult lives? I sincerely doubt it.
as others have stated, maybe it's a regional thing. i have spent most of my licensed life driving in the 'big city' so i may not get it. what i hear is an on-duty law enforcement officer in uniform/patrol vehicle telling a civilian to pull over. realizing it or not, that LEO is exerting authority over that person just to chat. and they don't know each other otherwise the civilian would not be getting pulled over. it seems more reasonable to me for the LEO to just pull along side the civilian and just give a friendly wave or something if they want to show their appreciation, or maybe pull up next to them at the next stop sign/light if they want to say something. i'm sure the person's day wasn't ruined. and like i said before most, if not all, claim to have been perfectly fine with the encounter. but just speaking for myself, i wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Motorcycle cop pulled up to me last week at a red light before I was going to take an exit for the highway said nice bike. What's my top speed on the bike I said about 80 lol. He laughed I said let's see if you can keep up light turn green he took off onto the exit ramp for the highway I didn't know what to do. to speed up and chase him or to keep back I chose to keep back 😆

If there is any police officers on this forum what's the big deal with LED motorcycle engine lights understand blue and red LED lights on a motorcycle but I was pulled over not too long ago for white all white led body kit. I was not cited I turned them off but if a tractor-trailer can go down the road lit up like a Christmas tree I just don't get it:mad:

·
Registered
163 Posts
If there is any police officers on this forum what's the big deal with LED motorcycle engine lights understand blue and red LED lights on a motorcycle but I was pulled over not too long ago for white all white led body kit. I was not cited I turned them off but if a tractor-trailer can go down the road lit up like a Christmas tree I just don't get it:mad:
@keithpost1955 ; what’s your verdict on this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Several tickets in the 55 plus years of driving.. All but one I did not know I was speeding until the lights went off. I had my head up my a$$.

On the motorcycle: I was back into motorcycle riding after some years off. My buddy and I were in west Texas in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, on a good state highway on our way to NM. No cars in sight. We were both on VTX 1300Rs. We weren't racing just having fun and enjoying the wide open spaces. Bam, out of nowhere Texas Highway Patrol. I am glad we slowed down from 100+. We pulled over and waited for him. He gave us a warning. My buddy said, "There is no one out here:. LEO said, "That is the way we like it."

My first motorcycle ticket: After 11 years, over 150,000 miles, 49 states, 11 provinces/territories, and many IBA rides I was in Alaska north of Fairbanks on my way to Prudhoe Bay with a group of 6 riders. The leader was from there and he had said they patrol this stretch regularly so we will not exceed 10 over. Hell, the next thing I know we were passing tour buses hitting 100+. In Texas the speed limit would have been 75 but not in AK, 60 I think. Anyway I saw a suspicious SUV coming at us, too late.

We were not passing buses so we had slowed some. All six of us got pulled over. The fastest was going 19 over slowest 14 over. He did give us a group discount. He wrote us all for 9 over to save us $100 and points. Nice LEO. He was doing his job. Plus there are a lot of large animals trying to kill motorcyclist up there. This was one I got and I knew I was speeding.

BTW: One of the group was presented with a second citation later that week. He said he had never had a ticket until the above time. He rode up there from Pennsylvania. Teach him to go to the 49th state. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
2-Reasonable Suspicion.
Did it ruin their day? Are they going to be in therapy the rest of their adult lives? I sincerely doubt it. Again, we are people too. I agree that State Police are more unforgiving, and more cautious, but their backup may be two county’s away. We backup our State Police all the time and happy to do so. They have backed me up several times, it’s called Officer Safety. There is a protocol for making traffic stops,and state law’s regulate them. If a person believes they were unjustly ticketed, file a former complaint, cars have recorders, body cams etc. It’s part of the job and equipment we have to handle.Go for a ride along with a local agency and see what they deal with, especially with the anti police movement that popular amongst political lines now. After you go for a ride along and witness an officer being assaulted by someone on meth or pcp, and witness an officer who made a simple traffic stop to alert the driver of a burned out taillight and is in a fight for his life, come back and tell us if your perception has changed. I’ve been involved in all of the above.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE. I always encourage citizens to do a police ride along. I guess some would also complain if police stopped citizens during a holiday time just to give a free, Turkey or toy for kids in the car. I love these contacts as its a great break from the bad ones.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
Yeah Beave, some of us even have hearts and care about the people we serve and protect, especially the kids.
This past holiday season I ordered a RC for my Grandson, and Amazon mistakingly sent me two instead one. I contacted Amazon and they told me to keep the extra one. I gave it to a little boy who’s Dad was in jail over Christmas, I’ve never seen a kid smile so much. So yeah we do other things besides lock people up and issue citations.
I’ve been flagged down in my unit many times and was given cookies, cakes, pies, etc.
As I’ve mentioned we’re just like everyone else. We pee, poop, get hungry and thirsty, sweat profusely from the heat and humidity while carrying around the additional 30 lbs of gear for twelve hours and try to forget that crime scene where we fished out that 17 year old boy from the lake that drowned ,and sat in the back of the ambulance while their parents said goodbye to their only child.
Sunday I made two new friends by telling one of them that I liked the color of his bike while he was visiting his biker buddy. We all talked about motorcycles for twenty minutes and shared some tips from each other. Two other guys walked and we talked to them as well. There was no citations involved, no arrests made, just adult conversation about the passion we all shared, just like regular folks.

Eaglee87,
Locally there is no law against white lights, LEDS, on motorcycles. You can run green, amber, and white. I personally don’t care what color you run as long as you’re seen. Being seen is way more important than what color you are running, but that’s just me.

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
I believe around here you can't have them on while driving and I'm pretty sure red and blue are illegal at any time. Lighting like that doesn't interest me in the slightest so I've never really looked into it further.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eaglee87,
Locally there is no law against white lights, LEDS, on motorcycles. You can run green, amber, and white. I personally don’t care what color you run as long as you’re seen. Being seen is way more important than what color you are running, but that’s just me.

My goodness, you think we were talking extreme politics. Guess you will always have those few disgruntled, sour persons that want to turn a positive into a negative. With that being said it's best for me to cease my comments on this topic.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts