Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Let's remember... 90+% of LEOs are decent folks. They have a job of enforcing laws that the elected officials signed into law.

Remember WE ELECTED those officals them into office.

No one likes being told they can't do what they are doing AND then having to pay a fine for said offense. So be patient & courteous with the LEOs. You'll be very surprised how often you are let go with a warning. Or a reduced offense.

NOW, if you think a law is erroneous, restricting, &/or overextending the Govt's hand. You have to take that up with the elected officials.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,675 Posts
Yeah Beave, some of us even have hearts and care about the people we serve and protect, especially the kids.

Sunday I made two new friends by telling one of them that I liked the color of his bike while he was visiting his biker buddy. We all talked about motorcycles for twenty minutes and shared some tips from each other. Two other guys walked and we talked to them as well. There was no citations involved, no arrests made, just adult conversation about the passion we all shared, just like regular folks.
it feels like there's a disconnect on this thread. nobody here is arguing that LEOs aren't respected as people and for the duties they perform. nobody is suggesting LEOs shouldn't talk to people while on duty. i'm specifically referring to instances of pulling a vehicle over that is not committing any moving violation for the sole purpose to chit chat which has nothing to do with a LEO's duties of upholding the law and protecting the public. it's obvious we're not going to agree on the practice, but the topic should at least be properly represented. since seemingly nobody else seems to mind getting pulled over for nothing, then keep doing it. i'm just saying i wouldn't like it and there are a ton of other ways to talk to people while on duty and spread good tidings and cheer.

·
Super Moderator
6,763 Posts
And how would you suggest that it would be done? Understand that we LEO’s live in glass houses, and most of us understand that, however with the anti-police attitude that’s spreading, it’s getting harder to make casual contact with the public without them drawing some conclusion as to what your intentions are. If we speak to the opposite sex, we’re flirting. If we’re talking to the same sex, we’re nosey, if we’re talking to a different race, we’re a racist, especially if we arrest that same person. If we don’t talk to anyone other than fellow officers while on duty, or off duty, we’re arrogant, we don’t care, and stuck up. As a level 1 Hostage Negotiator I’ve learned early on that what people do and what people say often times are diametrically opposed. If you have nothing to hide, then you will engage and enjoy the casual conversation no matter how it’s started. After many many years, what people say on a traffic stop and what they swear to in court is totally different.
So I’m open to suggestions or opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
I get you.
I know the general attitude towards officers seems to be a lot more aggressive than I have ever seen.
While I realize that live pd is not necessarily the whole picture of what happens out there it seems that almost everyone they run into is super aggressive even when they are caught red handed.
The police up here are always doing community outreach and fund raising for anything and everything.
You get the odd example of a overzealous officer but 99 and 1/4 % of these people are just looking to help out.

The only thing I ever learned from life that I know for sure is that you can never know what another person is thinking. That's why I never assume that anyone including an officer is out to do me harm.
Actions always show more than anything else and the police up here are not out to screw anyone over.

When I was 15 I had a bunch of local toughs giving me a hard time. I pulled out a 3 inch swiss army knife to get them to stop whomping on me. It worked but one called the police. 10 minutes later and officer pulled up alongside me and talked to me.

He put me in the front seat of the car and started driving. The man took 20 minutes of his time to talk to me and gave me his contact info so I could call him if I ever had a problem with these guys again.

I never had to call him but I always knew I could if need be. I ran into him 20 years later at old car show and shine. He remembered the day and said he always wondered how it turned out for me.
I bought him a coffee and we told lies for about an hour. Good man, good people trying to help.

I still get nervous when I see a cruiser on the side of the highway but not because I am afraid of the police. Just worried if I was going to fast.

·
Super Moderator
6,763 Posts
That’s the kind of officer that cares about his community and takes seriously what he does. When I was 16, an officer cut me a break that I’ve never forgotten and I pay it forward.
There’s nothing more that we hate than a bogus cop, it has a domino effect. I have a few friends that are homicide detectives in Memphis and we’re on 48 hours early on. The stories they shared were a great insight into the human mind. I have become friends with a family that I found their missing son just as a storm hit that took out trees and knocked down power lines. He couldn’t talk yet, but I took him to city hall as the storm hit.
When I see him now, he’ll literally screams out my name and runs across a parking lot just to say hi. I’ve found 5 missing children in my career and remember each incident vividly. I cut a lot of breaks to people on traffic citations, especially with many folks being out of work. I understand that not everyone gets it and glad people have opinions, and share them regardless the topic. It makes my day when kids ask about police work and say thank you for something you did for them and their family.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
@Keith Post ... you are the man all Leo's should be. You give a rat's ass!
And most people my age realize that.
The sad thing is less people are seeing LEOs like you. Or recognizing you maybe having a bad day at work because you just found the body of child because "the parent couldn't handle it."

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think it also matters who is in charge of their dept. Down here in my county we have a Sheriff who cares and they have officers who reflect that, the local PD were really bad, they fired the chief, brought in a new one and held training for what the new chief wanted. Now we have a PD that is a totally new dept.
You can have good officers in every dept, but it takes good leaders have have a good dept, we learned that the hard way here.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
945 Posts
What's my top speed on the bike I said about 80 lol.
I have always thought it would be funny to answer with the highway number to the "Do you know what the speed limit is?" It would only work on some roads. US 183 for instance.

LEO: You know what the speed limit is along here?
Me: Yes, sir. 183.

So Keith, would that get me deeper in trouble than I was already in?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Keith, if it helps, I'm not LE, but I have very similar feelings about just plain unsolicited communication with strangers. Many are fine, some surprised but fine, some suspicious, and some are obviously having a bad day or just generally pissed off and for them it is some level of aggravating. Maybe just an irritation or maybe a big FU! People are frequently a--holes. It isn't just LEOs, although it would be much exaggerated for y'all, I imagine.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Something almost reverse happened to me once. I'm driving along behind a couple of motorcycle cops and one them has his hard saddlebag lid start to float up and I can see papers flipping around and about to come out. I honked and pointed. I got an irritated look. I sped up next to him and while pointing at his rear tire I am getting major stink eye. I guess he couldn't see it in his rear view and seems to think I'm screwing with him but his buddy saw it. I got a wave as they pulled over. It was a bit awkward for about 10 seconds.

Also, we were on I-35 coming into downtown Dallas which is no place to be holding a lane to lane conversation especially on a bike, so there's that.

·
Super Moderator
6,763 Posts
I agree and there are times that some LEO’s can’t take a joke. I’d be thanking the citizen that saved me from spilling information all over the roadway. LEO’s can’t do it alone, and we appreciate their help immensely. Yet the consistent ‘I didn’t do it, he did it’ followed by a hearty laugh, or the media promotion of negativity towards LEO’s is a bit much. I for one make it a point to interact with the citizenry, especially the kids. With schools being out and more of them on the street, I’m stricter on traffic enforcement, I don’t want to see anything happen to any of them.
To answer your question, I’d laugh at your inquiry on the speed limit, lol. I’ve been known to say things like, ‘where’s a cop when you need one’, it makes people see the human side of me.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
To answer your question, I’d laugh at your inquiry on the speed limit, lol. I’ve been known to say things like, ‘where’s a cop when you need one’, it makes people see the human side of me.
Keith ... Are you trying to tell us LEOs aren't autotronic beings? That you are actual human beings?
My ears have never heard such lies & disinformation.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Keith when I got out of the military I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. But after being shot at in Beirut I know for a fact I didn't want to be LEO. So instead I decided to run into burning buildings, atleast I knew where the danger was, you guys never know where it can come from at all times. The bad part about it I still got hurt and spent a year in the hospital from shattering my leg in an explosion.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts